I hate 2.3L Ford motors

zigbat

Seaman
Just wanted to throw that out there...
Pretty sure I just killed my 3rd this season yesterday..
Got tons of 2.3 parts I'll trade for a decent 4.3L though...

A very wise man on this very forum advised me that a 4.3 will "drop right in there":
My questions are... in addition to the motor what else would I need (exhaust pipe etc)
to replace my 2.3L Cobra (I hate it, and all others like it)
and will those parts bolt up to my existing transom assembly
and if i used my 2.3L outdrive, what would be the problems I would have if any???

Thanks...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
no-one likes the pinto motor

pull all the OMG stuff...... find a complete 4.3/mercruiser setup and drop in. you have to drill two additional holes

Bondo

Staff member
and if i used my 2.3L outdrive, what would be the problems I would have if any???

Ayuh,.... Odds are ya can't buy a prop with enough pitch to make up for the gear ratio difference,....

zigbat

Seaman
Mercruiser huh.... toss way obsolete OMC stuff... Two holes... Sounds pretty complex... I see thousand dollar beaters with good Motors and mercruser drives all the time.. I just thought it was incompatible with my stuff.. Turns out... It is.... But that aint a bad thing it dont sound like So, what a smart boy would do is turn my OMC outdrive and useless motor into a hole and drill a couple carefully measured smaller holes somewhere near that hole and fill the abovementioned hole with Mercruiser stuff, and sell all the OMC stuff for outrageous prices on ebay to finance most of the project... Thats what a smart boy would do.... I should try that smart boy stuff... I know for sure dumbasses buy several 2.3L motors in a few months time.. Thats what I heard anyways... Off to craigslist...

zigbat

Seaman
But the 4.3 would sit in the bilge right on the existing mounts without changing them?
I guess that I would need an exhaust pipe for the v-6 would it bolt right up to my OMC stuff too..
I'm asking because there is an OMC 4.3 for sale that is a complete setup with a bad carb
I just dont wanna end up with a 4th engine laying around because I have to shell out cash for a buncha
parts or whatever.. I think the motor is still in the boat so I wanna grab everything i need while i am
smokin' and jokin' with the guy...

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/...320281629.html

Scratch that... Its sold..
I got all winter to find a beat up boat with everything i need for under a grand to do the Mercruiser thing I guess...

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
when you get your junk boat with the 4.3, transfer everything, including controls and gauges and wiring.

unbolt all the OMC stuff from the controls to the prop and remove - controls, motor, drive, transom shield, hydraulic pump, etc.

then transfer all the mercruiser stuff into your boat.

no worrying about exhaust tubes or nothing as none of your OMC stuff would remain......none......erased .....gone.....good riddance.

Speak

Chief Petty Officer
Zigbat - check my signature for complete conversion. No holes drilled by me - not needed on my vessel. I used everything from the donar boat even the power steering. Pretty easy swap for me

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
2.3 is pinto? how on earth did u blow 3 in a row? i have a kent motor and theyre awesome motors.. what happened if u dont mind me asking? fyi i blew 5 kents in a row when i was back in idiot school and engines.. :0

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've had a 2.3 in two Pintos and one Mustang. I know of three Ranger trucks that have the 2.3 in them with tons of miles on them still going strong. I bought a nice Sunbird with a locked up 2.3 in it because of a failed exhaust manifold and riser. I'm putting a low mileage 2.3 from a Capri in it now. I don't think they are inherently a "bad" engine. Just my two cents. : )

Boisebiker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My 1988 Bayliner will be going on its 30th season with original motor, no rebuilds. From my point of view the 2.3 Ford motor has been great. Maybe a little underpowered but reliable. How did you go through 3 motors in a row?