Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elses topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when its posted at the end of someone elses topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

I hate 2.3L Ford motors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate 2.3L Ford motors

Just wanted to throw that out there...
    Pretty sure I just killed my 3rd this season yesterday..
    Got tons of 2.3 parts I'll trade for a decent 4.3L though...

A very wise man on this very forum advised me that a 4.3 will "drop right in there":
    My questions are... in addition to the motor what else would I need (exhaust pipe etc)
    to replace my 2.3L Cobra (I hate it, and all others like it)
    and will those parts bolt up to my existing transom assembly
    and if i used my 2.3L outdrive, what would be the problems I would have if any???

Thanks...

no-one likes the pinto motor

pull all the OMG stuff...... find a complete 4.3/mercruiser setup and drop in. you have to drill two additional holes
    1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheasheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

and if i used my 2.3L outdrive, what would be the problems I would have if any???
      Ayuh,.... Odds are ya can't buy a prop with enough pitch to make up for the gear ratio difference,....

Comment

Mercruiser huh.... toss way obsolete OMC stuff... Two holes... Sounds pretty complex... I see thousand dollar beaters with good Motors and mercruser drives all the time.. I just thought it was incompatible with my stuff.. Turns out... It is.... But that aint a bad thing it dont sound like So, what a smart boy would do is turn my OMC outdrive and useless motor into a hole and drill a couple carefully measured smaller holes somewhere near that hole and fill the abovementioned hole with Mercruiser stuff, and sell all the OMC stuff for outrageous prices on ebay to finance most of the project... Thats what a smart boy would do.... I should try that smart boy stuff... I know for sure dumbasses buy several 2.3L motors in a few months time.. Thats what I heard anyways... Off to craigslist...

Comment

But the 4.3 would sit in the bilge right on the existing mounts without changing them?
          I guess that I would need an exhaust pipe for the v-6 would it bolt right up to my OMC stuff too..
          I'm asking because there is an OMC 4.3 for sale that is a complete setup with a bad carb
          I just dont wanna end up with a 4th engine laying around because I have to shell out cash for a buncha
          parts or whatever.. I think the motor is still in the boat so I wanna grab everything i need while i am
          smokin' and jokin' with the guy...

https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/...320281629.html

Scratch that... Its sold..
          I got all winter to find a beat up boat with everything i need for under a grand to do the Mercruiser thing I guess...
          Last edited by zigbat; October 5th, 2017, 03:53 PM.

Comment

when you get your junk boat with the 4.3, transfer everything, including controls and gauges and wiring.

unbolt all the OMC stuff from the controls to the prop and remove - controls, motor, drive, transom shield, hydraulic pump, etc.

then transfer all the mercruiser stuff into your boat.

no worrying about exhaust tubes or nothing as none of your OMC stuff would remain......none......erased .....gone.....good riddance.
            1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
            1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
            2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheasheads in Paradise"
            1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

zigbat, you didn't want that one anyway, it was OMC version with those batwings and all.
              _

Comment

Zigbat - check my signature for complete conversion. No holes drilled by me - not needed on my vessel. I used everything from the donar boat even the power steering. Pretty easy swap for me
                1989 Bayliner Capri 1750 **WAS** a 2.3L OMC Cobra
                Engine ID 232BMRM
                S/D serial 622293
                http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...rglass-repairs -SPLASHED

4.3l Mercruiser Alpha One Conversion Completed!
                Engine OC525578
                Drive 0C684021
                http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...l-merc-project

Comment

2.3 is pinto? how on earth did u blow 3 in a row? i have a kent motor and theyre awesome motors.. what happened if u dont mind me asking? fyi i blew 5 kents in a row when i was back in idiot school and engines.. :0

Comment

I've had a 2.3 in two Pintos and one Mustang. I know of three Ranger trucks that have the 2.3 in them with tons of miles on them still going strong. I bought a nice Sunbird with a locked up 2.3 in it because of a failed exhaust manifold and riser. I'm putting a low mileage 2.3 from a Capri in it now. I don't think they are inherently a "bad" engine. Just my two cents. : )

Comment

Working...
                    X