oil leak

Rinker85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello

​I have a 1984 2.5 l OMC sterndrive model 252STHRCRA. I have noticed an oil leak on the port side of the engine way in the back sitting on the intermediate housing. When I look up a diagram of this area there is a small cover plate with 6 screws in it. The diagram says this is the oil reservoir. I assume the gasket is bad. I've never really noticed this area before. What does the reservoir do?

kenny nunez

Captain
With the drive down check the oil level in the intermediate housing, there is a large slotted screw that you can check the oil level for the bearings. If there is no oil present put a small screwdriver in the hole to see it has oil in it. Clean the top of the cover and keep an eye on it. I have never seen that cover leak in the past.

Rinker85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
With the drive down check the oil level in the intermediate housing, there is a large slotted screw that you can check the oil level for the bearings. If there is no oil present put a small screwdriver in the hole to see it has oil in it. Clean the top of the cover and keep an eye on it. I have never seen that cover leak in the past.

​I don't think were talking about the same thing. I'm not talking about the top of the outdrive cover. I'm talking about on the inside of the boat way in the back there is a small plate maybe 2x4 inches with 6 screws in it. The diagram says this is the oil reservoir.

southkogs

Staff member
I think what Kenny is referring to is a screw-head looking port that should be on the intermediate just outside of the transom boot. It's top dead center of the intermediate (you can see it in this photo):
fetch

You won't be able to see it unless the drive is down. Mine was always a pain to get into, but it lets you check/change the lube. Lube get's sucked out of the reservoir (turkey baster should do it) ... otherwise, refer to Kenny's post.

Last edited:

kenny nunez

Captain
The cover in question is the for the drive shaft bearings that support the ball gear . The screw on the other side of the transom is where it is checked. There is also a screw on the lower area near the ball gear that is to drain the oil from bearing area. You may want to do that to see if there is any water in the oil. The easiest way to refil the cavity is from the lower drain hole with the gear oil pump kit from a marine store.