Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone else’s topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when it’s posted at the end of someone else’s topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

New motor installed, after 30 mins drive locked up on water-towed in

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New motor installed, after 30 mins drive locked up on water-towed in

Put a replacement motor in last week.. 4.3 vortec- after putting in gimbal bearing slid in another yoke to see if it was smooth-went in deep and pulled out quite easy without issue.

Put drive on and ran a while on muffs while setting up motor, checking alot of things. Once on the water I noticed every time I put the drive in fwd/rev it would make a whining noise.. in neutral it ran perfectly - passed psi test, new oil up to dipstick.. motor hardly ran above 130 degrees..

After 2nd run cruising just on plane the drive locked up. Previously I could turn it by hand very easy - the motor shut down and we got towed back..

Started draining drive oil expecting to see bits of metal but nothing, perfectly clean. Took drive off, motor ran perfectly again (huge relief).

This boat was bough off ebay for nickles and the motor was completely and utterly seized. Rest seemed ok - Ill be opening the drive later today but just thought id see if anyone had any ideas as to what could have caused this?

The uper gears never made a squeak and it ran fine for about 2 hours on hose, till we put her in the water.

Im suspecting something in the lower unit-

92 4-winns with OMC cobra drive -

thanks!

Pull the top bearing cap on the lower unit and inspect the taper roller bearing .

Comment

Heading down now to have a look. Wouldnt the upper whine even in neutral though? it ran quite a while out of gear just fine.. :0 - just curious

Originally posted by jimbo_jwc View Post
      Pull the top bearing cap on the lower unit and inspect the taper roller bearing .

Comment

Load vs no load. Neutral has no load other than the water pump.
        BOAT SPECS FORUM HELP STARCRAFT FORUM SHOP iboats
        Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
        That is what the forums are for.
        Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

I imagine when you pull the top cap off you will see the problem.
          Most likely caused from improper filling of the gear oil.

Comment

Well its possible I mucked it up - I filled oil thru the top with screw removed till it was above the mark on the little dipstick bolt, but all it took was 32 ounces after draining it for 30 mins..

So It must have settled and run dry? id i just toast an omc drive due to idiocy? I read everywhere 64oz is the quantity +-.. this thing stood for about 10 years.. I thought perhaps the bearings had formed rust maybe..

The upper bearing had a blue tint to it and there was an odor of burn in there.. like it had no lubrication :0 .. Ive ruined it.. 32 is half of 64 and im a dunce. Sometimes u learn the hard way :/

Originally posted by Idlespeedonly View Post
            I imagine when you pull the top cap off you will see the problem.
            Most likely caused from improper filling of the gear oil.
            Last edited by CamaroMan; September 18th, 2017, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Look at the bright side , now you have a reason to get an SEI outdrive to run with the new engine
              1977 Bellboy 18 footer with a 175 HP OMC 302

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by CamaroMan View Post
                Well its possible I mucked it up - I filled oil thru the top with screw removed till it was above the mark on the little dipstick bolt, but all it took was 32 ounces after draining it for 30 mins..
                Yep..that was the problem...you fill it through the middle screw until it comes out the top.

1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 24 Cuddy
                Volvo Penta Duo-Prop 7.4L "LK"

2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21
                Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI
                "Common sense is not very common"
                "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wooden

Comment

if you read enough posts on cobra drives, you realize your not the first one that did not fill the drive properly and toasted it.
                  1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
                  1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
                  2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheasheads in Paradise"
                  1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Originally posted by REDRIG View Post
                    Look at the bright side , now you have a reason to get an SEI outdrive to run with the new engine
                    Ahh I would not be celebrating that. No way can an SEI compare to a properly built and maintained Cobra. Mine's 30 years old, used in salt for 15+ years and only needed a few repairs. Crowley Marine and others sell rebuilt Cobra drives.

As far as filling it.....
                    JUST READ THE MANUAL!!!!!
                    1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
                    4.3 OMC Cobra

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
                    07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

"While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

Comment

and PS if you filled an SEI or Alpha that way guess what would happen? Same!
                      1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
                      4.3 OMC Cobra

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
                      07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

"While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

Comment

Working...
                      X