Intake manifold gasket

jbutler67

Petty Officer 1st Class
1988 Four Winns Horizon
502APRGDP
1988 OMC (GM) V8 5.0L

The Seloc manual notes "Use Silicone Rubber Sealer at all water passages and wherever a seal butts against a gasket."

Should the Silicone Rubber Sealer be applied to both the Cylinder Head mating surface and the Intake Manifold mating surface - below Intake Manifold gasket before setting gasket on Cylinder Head and on top of gasket before setting Intake Manifold on top?

How much Rubber Sealer should I use at the water passages? About 1/16" thick? More? Less?

I plan to use the preformed Rubber seals that came with the intake manifold gaskets - at the fore and aft China wall edges. How much Rubber Sealer should I use below and on top of these preformed seals?

Thanks

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
throw the seloc manual away and use the factory manual

get felpro gaskets and you can follow the felpro recommendation which is a dab at the 4 corners and a 1/4" bead on the china rails (throw away the rubber seals). the felpro gaskets have a silicone sealing surface for the water passages.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The sealing surfaces for the water ports on the intake can be somewhat eroded on older engines, you want to make sure that the sealing surface is clean, flat and level to less than 003" lengthwise and .002" crosswise. If the water passages in the intake look bad you might want to take it to a machine shop and have them re-surface it so you don't have any sealing issues. The Fel Pro gaskets are good, just installed them on my '88 4.3. They have the exhaust cross over restrictor plates that the other aftermarket gaskets usually don't. The OE ones I took out had them, so I included them when I installed the intake.
​You may also need a u joint for your torque wrench to get at a few of the bolts that are right next to the carb mount, the room there is very limited.