I have an intake LEAK! looking for good replacement intake!

Galaxytandy

Seaman Apprentice
HI
I have a 88 Galaxy starcruiser with a chevy 350 motor. While at the lake yesterday I noticed some bubbles coming from my one of my intake manifold bolts. Looked like my gasket was leaking. Also the motor would quit on my and random times. I'm thinking I have to pull the intake off to fix that leak at the very least. While pulling it off would that be a good time to swap out intake and carb at the same time? I wanted to get thoughts on this. Currently I have a 2 barrel on there and would like to upgrade. Any thoughts on a good upgrade would be great!
Chris

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
HI
I have a 88 Galaxy starcruiser with a chevy 350 motor. While at the lake yesterday I noticed some bubbles coming from my one of my intake manifold bolts. Looked like my gasket was leaking. Also the motor would quit on my and random times. I'm thinking I have to pull the intake off to fix that leak at the very least. While pulling it off would that be a good time to swap out intake and carb at the same time? I wanted to get thoughts on this. Currently I have a 2 barrel on there and would like to upgrade. Any thoughts on a good upgrade would be great!
Chris

Howdy,

Posting your make/model number could help here..... It's always helpful to know what you have Mercruiser, OMC, Volvo, etc... I assume that it's an OMC since you posted in the OMC forum.....

Don't know what (or how big) a "Galaxy starcruiser" is but it might not make a huge difference going to a 4bbl carb to justify the cost unless you're also planning to rebuild the engine.

If you just have "bubbles" at a manifold bolt, it's probably not an intake leak anyway. (only suction in there)

If you want to put a 4bbl carb on it you'll need either an OEM (used) manifold or an after market manifold and marine carb, ...pretty easy to find for any 350//5.7 GM engine.

Cheers,

Rick

Galaxytandy

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Thanks RICK for the reply
The specs on my boat: OMC 350. 1988 Galaxie Boat Works.21 footer, I was contemplating swapping out that intake for a bigger one and carb, but only if I need to rebuild the engine. There is a knock at low RPM in the passenger side valve cover, But it goes away when I rev it up so I don't believe I have any bearing issues. Possibly my rocker arms maybe out of adjustment or something else. If I ever had to pull that motor I would like to do a 383 stroker for it. WIth a nice cam.
Chris

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I would like to do a 383 stroker for it. With a nice cam.
Chris
Well, a "nice" cam would have to be a "Marine" cam......which is a fairly low RPM/high torque cam.... sort of like an RV or truck cam.

A 383 would of course be doable......but if spending that kind of money and effort(and the boat is nice enough to warrant it) you might consider finding a rotten hulled donor boat with a good condx Mercruiser or Volvo engine/drive combo and swap out the entire mess....

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Get a set of Vortec heads and the intake Volvo uses on the 305/350 engines. It is a four bbl manifold but Volvo uses it with 2bbl Holleys as well. Very good manifold.

DSC_0007a.jpg

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Why not just take it apart and see what's wrong first. When I did my engine those intake manifold gaskets were on there like Kryptonite. It was hard to get the manifold off (it was much easier to get the heads off) and it took me hours to get the gaskets off the sealing surfaces of the intake and get them in flat enough (<.003") to seal. 120/220/400/600 sandpaper on a flat block. Or take the easy way out and just bring it to a machine shop!

Then you can check all of your valve lifters and see what's going on there. If it's an '88 motor that should have a roller cam, mind does....

Galaxytandy

Seaman Apprentice
Lou I believe it is a roller motor. Id have to look at the block specs. Rick if toyed with the Idea of going Mercruiser all the way. Still thinking about it. At least if I decided to sell it the hopefully the mercruiser would give my boat more added value!
Chris