Guidance on Fair Asking Price for Engine and Drive

Helibob1966

Seaman Apprentice
I have recently picked up a 27 foot 1989 Bayliner. Powered by a single OMC 5.8 ford. The boat is severely underpowered in my opinion. My plan is to remove the complete engine and drive, sell it to fund a 496 BBC and a Bravo 1 that I salvaged from a Celebrity. The 5.8 runs very well and the drive is in very good condition, fresh water only dry stored. unfortunately there is no hour meter. What would be a good asking price? What would be the best way to sell, i.e. eBay, CL?

Thanks all.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Craigslist or ebay. You may get $1200-1500 for a complete and running longtail

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I have recently picked up a 27 foot 1989 Bayliner. Powered by a single OMC 5.8 ford. The boat is severely underpowered in my opinion. My plan is to remove the complete engine and drive, sell it to fund a 496 BBC and a Bravo 1 that I salvaged from a Celebrity. The 5.8 runs very well and the drive is in very good condition, fresh water only dry stored. unfortunately there is no hour meter. What would be a good asking price? What would be the best way to sell, i.e. eBay, CL?

Thanks all.

Howdy,

I did something similar, swapping a 460 King Cobra for a 454/Bravo III (out of a wind damaged 24ft Bayliner)

If you could find a Bravo III and then sell your Bravo I, you will be amazed at the difference in a boat that big! You would want either a 2.00:1 or 2.20: 1 Bravo III.

I would suggest parting out the engine, drive and other stuff separately.. I parted out everything I had over a few years and got nearly $3600 for all of it....... If you sell it as a package, you'll get it out of your garage but you will not get as much!

Cheers,

Rick