BRP - OMC match spray paint - What kind of paint is it?

ach1982

Cadet
I want to refurbisch my OMC SX outdrive and I figured out, that BRP is selling the original paint in spray rattle cans.
Does anybody know, what kind of paint is in the original BRP spray cans?

Is it a one component polyurethane, epoxy or just a acrylic spray like the stuff for cars?

The boat will stay for a few month in the water, so I want a "long" lasting paint.

I know, prep and prime is more necessary than just the paint.

It would be great, if somebody can give me answer or can share his experience.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its a solvent dry single component paint.

any 2-part (such as a high-end catalyzed urethane or epoxy) has only hours to use once mixed

its glorified krylon

ach1982

Cadet
Yes, I know that it is single component paint.
But you can also get urethane as single component version.

I just want to figure out, if this paint is the right choice or I better should switch to 2-part paints for a longer lasting paintshop.

What would you recommend?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
depends on the boat and how its stored. if its slip kept, i personally would go with epoxy with an anti-fouling top coat

if its a trailer queen, go with whatever you want

ach1982

Cadet
Its in the water from may to september every year. So I should go for epoxy.

Last year the outdrive was prepared, primed and sprayed. Primed with an epoxy primer and the topcoat was a 2K car paint.
Blisters grew up in the paint.
If you open these blisters, you can see the grey primer, its not the aluminium.
I believe these paint is not stable in water and water got between the primer and the paint.

So I want to sand down the paint, leave as much primer as I can on the outdrive and prime it again.
I was thinking about applying a topcoat.
The boat is here in germany just in freshwater.

Just a few coats of anti-fouling on top are enough?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
automotive paint is for cars

marine paint is for boats

give you an example with my drive. I bead blasted everything, had it sprayed with 2 coats of metal lock primer, 2 coats of tie-coat primer, 2 coats of marine epoxy paint. after I assemble, it will get scuffed, and another 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of epoxy top coat, and I trailer the boat.

ach1982

Cadet
many thanks for your request.
I got an answer of a paint company. They recommend sanding down, prepping, priming with epoxy and applying a polyurethane topcode.
For the topcode, the right hardener should be the most important thing, to get it UV and water resistant.

So I'll go for this. If the work at the end looks good, maybe I am convinced to trailer the boat like you.

zigbat

Seaman
The rattle can OMC spray paint i bought on ebay for my outdrive was an exact match and still looks good after a season except where I use the muffs has circles because i left them on for a few days once..
I would personally recommend it, the drive looked pretty shoddy and i sanded it real quick and shot a few coats on it and saved a little for touch ups later but not even a whole can did fine...
Its the metallic paint I suppose ya know, the non metallic is engine paint...

Scott Danforth

Staff member
zig.... your boat is not slipped like the OP's

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
In Europe I believe you can get Interlux paints. Id recommend their Primocon primer as a base coat and then 2-3 coats of Trilux anti fouling paint for aluminum. I brush on wherever I can reach and use the spray where the brush can't reach....

ach1982

Cadet
Hi,

I talked to several guys from paintshops and paint dealers/manufacturer.
They all recommend a few coats of a good two-component epoxy primer as primer and topcoat of two component polyurethane paint.
At the end a clear coat can be applied, but it is not really necessary.
I think the polyurethane paint is not really UV resistant, so the clearcoat can act like a filter.

In future I'll trailer the boat, to have only now the paintwork.

Now I have the problem to find a comparable paint/code, which matches nearly to that original OMC charcoal metallic.

The Johnson Evinrude partnumber is 0777173, the color code 85CSJ1 and PPG refinish color code is 34489 I can't find the name of the paint with that PPG code.

If someone knows a comparable paint (a car manufacturer, the name of the paint and a model year, would be also okay) would be great.

There is no need, that the paint matches 100 percent.

Last edited by a moderator: