Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Liberator bb460 alternator?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liberator bb460 alternator?

I think my alternator went bad on my liberator. Ran it for about ten miles at cruising speed with my perco switch on all. I shut it down we floated for a bit went to start it back up and click click click turned the switch to 1 battery both or the other battery click click. Gotta jump. And on the ride home had to keep all the electronics off but still not running right. ALTERNATOR? And being a big block Ford 460 can I get a generic alternator? Thanks for the help.

And does this have an internal or external voltage regulator

Comment

the alternator needs to be marine alternator

I myself would simply find a local electrical shop that repairs/rebuilds rotating electrics. usually a diode pack and a pair of new bearings and your off and running.
      1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
      1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
      2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheasheads in Paradise"
      1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Yea Scotty thanks I called the local "go to" shop they didn't have one on the shelf and said the manufacturer stopped making this alternator in 2012. I found remans online for like $300 ish. The area rebuild shop said no more $125. So guess its on to a rebuilt one.

Comment

It's pretty much a "Generic"....... I still have the alternator that came off my former 460. It will work on my Mercruiser. And the regulator is internal. Your best bet would still be to get it rebuilt.
          1987 FourWinns 211 Liberator, Originally an OMC 460 King Cobra.
          Re-powered in 2006 with a 1997 Mercruiser 7.4L Bravo III

Comment

Having trouble loading pic but I have the late Motorola/prestolite alternator there were 4 wires hooked up to it but there's no ground going to the ground screw should there

Comment

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1BgVtnxHWanYDDKx1

Comment

Originally posted by 211libwtfo View Post
                Having trouble loading pic but I have the late Motorola/prestolite alternator there were 4 wires hooked up to it but there's no ground going to the ground screw should there
                Do you have the OMC (NOT Seloc or Clymer) service manual for your model? You can view the wiring diagram there....

Most alternators in boats are grounded though the frame connections. Sometimes there's a bonding strap ...... yours grounds directly through the block ground (which makes it of the utmost importance that the ground strap is clean and tight!)

Comment

I do not have the omc owners manual. So when I took the voltage regulator apart underneath the rectifier was corroded to hell. I'm hoping that was part of the problem and it was filthy. I gonna put it back on and test it in the driveway.

Comment

So I've got 12.31dcv on the output side of my alternator. I've read it's supposed to be 14 ish but is this reading ok

Comment

I would take the alt over to Autozone and have them test it. Their test setup will tell you if it's working correctly or not. 12.3V is not correct for a working alternator. It should be around 13.8- 14.2v when charging.

12V (nominal) is what you measure on a fully charged battery.

Comment

A good alt should put out about 14.2V. I put an Arco in my OMC about 2 years ago and it was a perfect fit.
                        1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
                        4.3 OMC Cobra

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
                        07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

"While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

Comment

I thought I'd get away with dismantling it cleaning and putting it back in but it probably needs a diode pak or something. But for the wife's trust factor I'm going to put a new one in. $125 at the local rebuild shop.

Comment

Soo I've put a new alternator in and I believe the old one was wired improperly. Cause when I got the new one it had a purple wire, looking from the back, on the left and a red wire on the right. The old alternator was wired in reverse. After I hooked everything up we took the liberator for a ride it ran great the trim tabs worked better than ever the gas gauge worked the tach was more accurate best $125 spent in awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by 211libwtfo View Post
                              Soo I've put a new alternator in and I believe the old one was wired improperly. Cause when I got the new one it had a purple wire, looking from the back, on the left and a red wire on the right. The old alternator was wired in reverse. After I hooked everything up we took the liberator for a ride it ran great the trim tabs worked better than ever the gas gauge worked the tach was more accurate best $125 spent in awhile.
                              Did you ever post a pic of your boat? We all (of course) want to see!!

Good job! None of this stuff is very hard is it?

Comment

Working...
                              X