OMC 5.0 Ford

bowrider95

Cadet
I have a OMS 5.0 that will not idle or run. The carb has been rebuilt and the fuel pump has been replaced. We are thinking that the fuel pump is pumping to much fuel. The engine will sputter then die. Inside the carburetor you can see a lot of fuel left in it. What is the fuel pump pressure supposed to be? We are seeing about 5lbs when cranking engine.

alldodge

Staff member
carb has been rebuilt...
Inside the carburetor you can see a lot of fuel left in it.

I would say you need to get back into the carb and adjust the float level again, or you got a small piece of crud in the needle seat

What is the fuel pump pressure supposed to be?

Pressure should be 4 to 7 psi so with 5 your looking good

kenny nunez

Captain
It is possible to use the wrong metering block gaskets from the rebuild kit. Some times there are more than 1 gasket in the kit and you have to really look closely at them. Are you sure that the power valve is not leaking, there is also 2 different sealing gaskets for the power valve. The directions with the kit describes the 2 different applications. Wrong gasket = a major leak. Also the float settings are critical.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
also, on holley carbs older than 1992, backfires will take out the power valve.

bowrider95

Cadet
Its a 95 Holley. The man that rebuilt the carb said he has adjusted the carb and it should be fine. I agree I still think it is the carb I'm just not sure how to verify that it is the carb.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Its a 95 Holley. The man that rebuilt the carb said he has adjusted the carb and it should be fine. I agree I still think it is the carb I'm just not sure how to verify that it is the carb.

There's only one way. pull it apart and verify. I have rebuilt a good many carburetors. It's easy to screw it up.....If you're thinking the pump may have high pressure, get a gage and measure it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Holley carbs are one of the easiest carbs to rebuild