Look like I need a new flywheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 77 Orrion ski boat with a 351 ford motor. the model is a standard 235 HP. while I was fixing an electrical problem I managed to overload the starter on the motor and when bench tested it failed the no load test. No big issue here but I inspected the fly wheel and sure enough it has a few damaged teeth. I am loking at the best way to get to the flywheel to replace it. My guess would be to remove the out drive unit as a whole from the intermediate housing this should get me to the flywheel? The other thing is can you get an aftermarket automotive flywheel or is mine a proprietary part for OMC? This question also goes for the starter motor though I know it needs to turn CCW.

kenny nunez

Captain
The best way is to pull the engine, separate it at the bell housing . The flywheel has a removable / replaceable ring gear . If you do not have the ability to to change the ring gear I am sure you must know some one who may be familiar on how to replace the ring gear. NAPA sells them. Get with it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Ring gears are about $15 at the auto parts store.

the flywheel on the motor is a truck manual transmission flywheel. In this case a Ford truck.

buy ring gear
put ring gear in oven on 350 degrees
while the ring gear is warming up - use a chisel, cut off the old one (or heat with a torch fast and have it fall off)
use wire brush to clean up flywheel
stick flywheel in freezer
crack a beer
wipe your brow
finish the beer
remove flywheel from freezer and set on garage floor. (dont set on the wife's new granite counters)
put on welders gloves (or grab oven mitts), retrieve ring gear from oven, drop onto flywheel

it is now heat shrunk in place

use welder, tack weld in 3 areas

crack another beer

reinstall flywheel

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
is the tack welding necessary? the old one wasnt tacked. why tack the new one? wont that throw of the balance?

Status
Not open for further replies.