Loud exhaust sound during cruise 1984 3.8l

Ristin

Seaman
1984 18' open bow Seaswirl Sierra 3.8L OMC

This boat has been a maintenance nightmare since purchase last month. So far I've had to replace the bulb in the bow light, replace the still original bilge blower (worked but not well), clean surface rust off the cigarette lighter so my cell phone charger would work and clean some surface corrosion off the windshield wiper switch so the wiper would work. (An item I'll never use) HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Seriously through, this boat has been awesome so far. No leaks, engine starts right up, runs strong, doesn't use oil, no water in the drive housings. This ole girl has far exceeded my expectations.

Now, this could be my imagination or that crazy part of my brain that's looking for problems where none exist but it seems like the engine exhaust noise is louder during cruise and full throttle operation compared to the first few times we took it out. I don't run flat out very much, I tend to cruise at 3100 RPM which gives me 26mph. Last trip out I thought the engine exhaust was louder but didn't say anything to my wife because I thought maybe I was just getting used to the boat and starting to notice things that I hadn't noticed before.
Later in the day my wife says, "wow seems like the boat is louder than before"
Oh.great.
I stopped and pulled the engine cover off and didn't see anything amiss. At idle the engine is quiet and the exhaust gasses burble up between the drive case and the transom. Assuming this is normal as it has always done that at idle and upon inspection in the garage there appears to be a port that allows this. My assumption being that this is a relief to avoid excessive back pressure at idle. Yeah, I'm making a lot of assumptions.
I don't smell exhaust in the engine compartment nor do I get exhaust smell while running the blower.

Is there something I should check or am I just being paranoid?

IMG_2086.JPG IMG_2119.JPG IMG_2087.JPG

southkogs

Staff member
'84 is a Stringer, right? It sounds like it's about right. Real quiet except the bubbles at idle, and louder up on plane.

That exhaust route doesn't really "seal" where the intermediate meets the upper. Perhaps by greasing the swivel bearing on the front of the drive you might knock it down a little. But that's pure guesswork on my part.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
No exhaust boot on a stringer, just two holes that line up between intermediate and drive. Make sure drive is all the way down.

If the interior exhaust hoses were leaking, you would have had water in the bilge

kenny nunez

Captain
The V6 engines have a distinct tone and in my opinion sometimes louder than a V8 at certain rpm levels. Is there an anode plate bolted to the underside of the intermediate that looks like a grill ? You could take a piece of aluminum and drill a few relief holes in it and mount it between the anode and the housing which would quiet it down some.

Ristin

Seaman
Thanks for replies.
Yes it is a stringer. The rubber hoses on the exhaust manifold are ok and no water getting into the bilge.
I looked where the intermediate meets the drive and noticed there's a rubber seal on the lower unit. There was a bit of gunk built up so I cleaned the surfaces.
While the engine cover was off I noticed the alternator belt was a bit loose. After tightening the belt and replacing the engine cover I noticed I might not have been getting the engine cover on properly. (oh-boy...) The extra noise may have been because the engine cover wasn't tight against the back. Going out tomorrow so I'll see if she's quieter.

Ristin

Seaman
Nice looking SeaSwirl, Ristin.

Thanks! I think I did ok for my first boat. Everyone told me to stay away from the older OMC's which I was trying to do, but most non-OMC driven boats were out of my price range or needed new upholstery or sold before I could get to them. This boat had service records from new to current. Winterized at the same shop every fall since new. Transom boot recently replaced, and drive unit had all seals replaced earlier this year. Looked like the first owner had taken very good care of her.

Ristin

Seaman
Well well well...amazing how much quieter the engine and bilge blower are when the engine cover is properly installed.
Doh!

southkogs

Staff member
LOL ... but that is both an easy and cheap fix! We like those :thumb: