1995 5.0 omc cobra runs great when on the throttle but stalls out when I Try to idle

Jearmz250

Recruit
Hi I am new to boats and bought my first boat a 1995 four winns 205 sundowner with the 5.0 omc cobra efi had some kinks the first couple times I took it out for the most part it runs good, get to the boat launch starts up good initially and as long as I am on the throttle even in no wake areas it runs good but as soon as take it off the throttle and try to just idle it will surge up sometimes then eventually die and when I attemp to restart it it doesn't usually go so well and I have to give it some gas to get it restarted, and once restarted runs terrible until I get the ability to get on the gas I have replaced the fuel filter and starter very confused would
Love to hear anyone's opinion on what I should try thanks

alldodge

Staff member
on the throttle even in no wake areas

Don't like those guys

Since its EFI and it does not want to idle at lower rom, then look at your Idle Air Control (IAC) valve

Jearmz250

Recruit
I didn't mean it in that kind of way haha I just meant as long I was still just on the gas even a little bit it would remain to run well just always so nervous to take it off the gas assuming the possibility of it stalling on me I will look into that thanks for the help hopefully will give me some direction

Jearmz250

Recruit
So continuation of idle issue has not been resolved still. replaced the iac valve and it didn't not hurt any by replacing but still having idle surges while idling oil pressure gauge very inconsistant ... any other ideas? I have read to clean out the filter that the iac valve bolts to and clean out throttle body as well definitely love to hear so more input thanks again

Larson220

Seaman Apprentice
I have the same engine and i was able to remedy this condition some by using a part made for the 5.0 ford.

Larson220

Seaman Apprentice
I put on a the IAC adjuster part that i mentioned in the post, however these engines will have a surging idle.
It seems to be a design flaw of these Ford FI engines.
The surging will happen most when the engine has been running for some time and then it is shut down and it is restarted, but with the part that i mention it does help. Good luck.