1978 140hp OMC ran out of gas

Cylee

Recruit
Hi I just recently bought a 1978 Starcraft Holiday 18.
I had it on its first try out getting used to controls etc when I ran out of gas... until this point the engine had started first time and seemed to be running smooth.

Now it will turn over. It not fire up. Yep put gas in, also noticed a small clear bowl stating if full of fuel change pump, this is empty. I've also pulled the line going into the carb and this has fuel in it

Any thoughts advice on what's wrong

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
did you dribble a bit of fuel down the carb to get it to fire for a bit? remember, the fuel pump must now draw fuel from an empty line, get that to the pump, then pump up to an empty motor. it will take a bit of cranking unless you dribble a bit down the carb to get the motor to fire a bit on its own and run for a few seconds.

Cylee

Recruit
did you dribble a bit of fuel down the carb to get it to fire for a bit? remember, the fuel pump must now draw fuel from an empty line, get that to the pump, then pump up to an empty motor. it will take a bit of cranking unless you dribble a bit down the carb to get the motor to fire a bit on its own and run for a few seconds.

Just tried some fuel in the carb...
It seems to crank but not actually want to fire..?