Water in oil

Zenka

Cadet
Had little hope it could be the oil cooler.It shows I have one in my manual but I can't find it.
I follow the hose from the thermostat and it goes all the way to the back and clip to a metal tubing.It seems like it's the same tubing outside where the other hose
bringing water in is attach.Which oil is that oil cooler's cooling if I may ask?I know in the manual they show an oil cooler for boat equip with power steering.
Mine isn't power steering.Also that power steering oil cooler is shown on the side of the motor in the manual.The one shown for my engine is at the back by that tubing.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
are you looking at the factory manual or a seloc manual? oil cooler would be between the power steering cooler and the thermostat housing in the plumbing

what motor/drive are you working on?

just and FYI - many motors did not come with an oil cooler. and Seloc / Clymer manuals are not worth the paper they are printed on.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... Whatcha workin' on,..??

Most boat motors don't have an oil cooler,....

What's the back-story on yer water in the oil,..??

Zenka

Cadet
The book is OMC.The back story dated from last summer.It started to heat but since i was close to the shore i thought i could slowly make it.Mistake.I thought it was the head gasket so I got the head resurface and put a new head gasket on it.When i put the muffs i noticed some oil/water coming out from that pin hole near water intake on the foot.Then as the water was open on the muff I noticed there was water building up in the engine base oil.Could that overheating cracked the block?

Bondo

Staff member
Could that overheating cracked the block?

Ayuh,..... That's entirely possible,.... frozen before you got is also a possibility,...

Ya still haven't said what motor,....

Zenka

Cadet
Oh sorry it's 2.3 L OMC.It was running then it overheated and water came in engine oil.After that i changed head gasket and still water in engine oil.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Best way I've found to find the crack, is to drain the block, isolate it's coolin' passages, 'n pressurize with air,...

You'll hear the leak, then follow the sound,....

did you take a good look at the head for cracks. they will be small but exspands when it heats up. take steel wool all around the water jacket on the head and block.