overheating, beating my head HELP videos

casperfast

Cadet
so I replaced the engine, brand new thermostat. thought the gauge was bad. decided to do a dry/wet run..... nope. and I removed the inlet screen and I can't feel any suction at 1100 rpm with my finger on the tube. impeller????? if so how do identify which one I need and where do I get it/part numbers for the kit. I point to a small water leak in the first video, could this be the cause? https://youtu.be/MbLOq-aUtp0

https://youtu.be/U5nfoQWiPmM

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Rubber impeller pumps don't suck, they push,.... It's a flooded entry pump,.... It won't work in a bucket like that,....

I'm also guessin' you've burnt it up by now,....

southkogs

Staff member
Like Bondo said - the Stringer drive has to be completely submerged to move water. For running the boat on land, there's an optional hose inlet that may be on your pivot cap - if you have one, the garden hose'll hook right up to it and push water through the system. Otherwise, you'll need to hook up some kind of flush kit. Muffs or a bucket won't work on that drive.

To figure out which model you have, there should be a tag on the engine somewhere telling you the number. I believe the impeller you need is OMC part #0379475, but best to make sure on your model number.

casperfast

Cadet
No Title

model# tufm-20d sn#196977 how do identify it from this?

Attachments

• photo273826.jpg
    photo273826.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 0

southkogs

Staff member
HERE you go. I always ordered the full kit. Changed mine out every other year - sometimes stretched it to three. Best to get a manual, but you can always look up a parts diagram for your drive. OMC Part number for the impeller is #0379475

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... The fins should straighten, rather than stayin' bent,...
There should be No wear on the impeller or the end plates,...

casperfast

Cadet
ok thank you. I will be installing the new u it today. u fortunately I was a dumb ass when pulling it apart and didn't pay attention to the direction it was facing. is there anywhere I can see photos or diagrams of the entire putative other than the parts diagrams that lack any detail?

kenny nunez

Captain
When you install a new impeller you do not have to worry about the direction the blades are. As soon as you start it up it will straighten itself. And of course coat the inside of the pump housing with some grease. Just be the sure to seal both sides of the stainless plate with #2 Permatex and also pay attention to which side of the goes to the impeller, they are usually marked "PUMP SIDE".

casperfast

Cadet
I did see the "pump side on the plate. also u said to seal both sides, are u referring to the top of the plate and the bottom in the housing?

casperfast

Cadet
oh, also. I did not see the round spline seal spacer on my unit when I took it apart. do they not all have that? also no metal retainer clip, just an o-ring in the groove