I really need some help. King cobra 460 kinda problems

Twcash

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 28f sun runner in fantastic shape the 460 ford is in fantastic shape. The king cobra clutch drive....not so much. The more i read the worse my headache gets. Please help. Should i buy a replacement king cobra cone clutch ? Can i do the sx conversion?

My king cone is a 1991 as is the 460 ford.
I have found what i think is a 1997 omc volvo colad. Model 3868212
T0789757
Ratio 1.63.

Will this work?

Twcash

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Now i know about the sx drive needing the raw water pump to be mounted to the engine and i know having a 460 ford makes it impossible. But is that not a raw water pump on the drive?

Attachments

• photo273558.jpg
    photo273558.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo273559.jpg
    photo273559.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your best bet, part out your cobra drive, sell the 460 and get a GM motor and either Mercruiser of Volvo drive.

unfortunately you have one of the least supported combinations of motor and drive there is.

Twcash

Seaman Apprentice
Ya....just wondering if there was a chance that drive Would work

Twcash

Seaman Apprentice
your best bet, part out your cobra drive, sell the 460 and get a GM motor and either Mercruiser of Volvo drive.

unfortunately you have one of the least supported combinations of motor and drive there is.

Isn't that a raw water impeller on this drive? If the 1994 /on to 98 colab versions use the same casing why wont it mount? The cone clutch didn't move to the right side until omc was out of the picture.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
volvo drives have the raw water pump on the crank. not sure if the drive you are looking at would work.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
In 1994, the OMC and Volvo joint ventures drives were identical. They used the new SX drives and gimbal housings. They are incompatible with the older Cobra dog clutch and KingCobra cone clutch drives.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Isn't that a raw water impeller on this drive? If the 1994 /on to 98 colab versions use the same casing why wont it mount?
They don't use anything the same. Even the pivot housing is different.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I have a 28f sun runner in fantastic shape the 460 ford is in fantastic shape. The king cobra clutch drive....not so much. The more i read the worse my headache gets. Please help. Should i buy a replacement king cobra cone clutch ? Can i do the sx conversion?

My king cone is a 1991 as is the 460 ford.
I have found what i think is a 1997 omc volvo colad. Model 3868212
T0789757
Ratio 1.63.

Will this work?
Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

Well, I sure wish I could tell you everything is OK but unfortunately, you have the worst of the worst of the "King Cobras" (or very close to it!)

You cannot put an SX on the back of that boat unless you change the transom mount. If you do that, you will not be able to find a transom plate that will mate to the 460.

If you buy an SX and transom mount, your best bet would be to find a (Volvo Penta flavored 454 and accy's [manifolds, flywheel , flywheel cover, coupler etc etc)] to match. But that means you would need a prop-to-fan-belt package from a running boat (preferably)

If you buy all the parts separately, it'll cost a small fortune.

With a boat that big you should also plan on getting a VP DUO-Prop.

The other choice would be what I did and find a 454 (or 496) Mercruiser Bravo III (from a possibly rotten hulled/damaged boat) that you could buy as a package.

Either is good, although you'll find about 3-4 times more Mercruiser parts and accessories on eBay for example than Volvo. When I did mine, I went looking for a 300hp+ VP/SX package and never found one up here in the NW (Portland/Seattle) I DID however find several Mercruiser Bravo (I, II, III) packages 300+ HP

You could buy yourself a rebuilt King Cobra drive, but because you probably have a Spitfire ignition, you're just a "spark" away from having to replace the entire system with a replacement (after market marine) distributor and if you break the drive, you're back in the same boat (pun intended). I am not sure you can find exhaust manifolds for the 460 at all! (requiring one-off stainless steel manifolds for $$$)

I would not put any more money in any 460/Cobra ..........Sorry about that.

If it's a nice boat, it's worth re-powering. If you can do it yourself, you can save a LOT of money.

Regards,

Rick

Twcash

Seaman Apprentice
Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

Well, I sure wish I could tell you everything is OK but unfortunately, you have the worst of the worst of the "King Cobras" (or very close to it!)

You cannot put an SX on the back of that boat unless you change the transom mount. If you do that, you will not be able to find a transom plate that will mate to the 460.

If you buy an SX and transom mount, your best bet would be to find a (Volvo Penta flavored 454 and accy's [manifolds, flywheel , flywheel cover, coupler etc etc)] to match. But that means you would need a prop-to-fan-belt package from a running boat (preferably)

The other choice would be what I did and find a 454 (or 496) Mercruiser Bravo III (from a possibly rotten hulled/damaged boat) that you could buy as a package.

Either is good, although you'll find about 3-4 times more Mercruiser parts and accessories on eBay for example than Volvo. When I did mine, I went looking for a 300hp+ VP/SX package and never found one up here in the NW (Portland/Seattle) I DID however find several Mercruiser Bravo (I, II, III) packages 300+ HP

You could buy yourself a rebuilt King Cobra drive, but because you probably have a Spitfire ignition, you're just a "spark" away from having to replace the entire system with a replacement (after market marine) distributor and if you break the drive, you're back in the same boat (pun intended). I am not sure you can find exhaust manifolds for the 460 at all! (requiring one-off stainless steel manifolds for $$$)

If it's a nice boat, it's worth re-powering. If you can do it yourself, you can save a LOT of money.

Regards,

Rick

What does this number tell me? 3868212 T0789757

Twcash

Seaman Apprentice
Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

Regards,

Rick

Model 3868212
T0789757
Ratio 1.63

So what yr is the drive with these numbers

Twcash

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Attachments

• photo273641.png
    photo273641.png
    556.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo273642.png
    photo273642.png
    738.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo273643.jpeg
    photo273643.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 0

Twcash

Seaman Apprentice
In the 3 pics above...thats the back of my boat. Does that outdrive not look like it will mount?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The 3868211(correct number I read from your picture) shows that it is a 95 drive so it MAY fit. It is not a 97.

The reason I say it may fit is that in 95 it was mated to a 7.4L. Your's is likely a 1990 since I believe that is the last year for the 460.

EDIT: Looks like the yokes are the same. You may be in luck

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
The 3868211(correct number I read from your picture) shows that it is a 95 drive so it MAY fit. It is not a 97.

The reason I say it may fit is that in 95 it was mated to a 7.4L. Your's is likely a 1990 since I believe that is the last year for the 460.

If the drive he's talking about has a raw water pump on the back of the drive, and it's a cone clutch drive, it may fit. OMC did put the same drive on the 7.4L and 8.2L engines as the cone clutch 460 model.

If the drive he's talking about does not have the raw water pump on the back, it'll be a newer (Volvo/OMC joint) SX drive. It is my understanding that an SX (OMC or Volvo) will not bolt to an OMC interim cone clutch transom mount. You must use the SX (OMC or Volvo) transom mount. BUT, there's no 460 transom plate available that will bolt to a 460.

There's several threads here on iBoats and other sites that have asked the same thing.

I just did a simple google search for OMC 3868212

Last edited by a moderator:

Twcash

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

If the drive he's talking about has a raw water pump on the back of the drive, and it's a cone clutch drive, it may fit. OMC did put the same drive on the 7.4L and 8.2L engines as the cone clutch 460 model. If the drive he's talking about does not have the raw water pump on the back, it'll be a newer (Volvo/OMC joint) SX drive. It is my understanding that an SX (OMC or Volvo) will not bolt to an OMC interim cone clutch transom mount. You must use the SX (OMC or Volvo) transom mount. BUT, there's no 460 transom plate available that will bolt to a 460. There's several threads here on iBoats and other sites that have asked the same thing. I just did a simple google search for OMC 3868212
Ok then lets look at this one now....

Attachments

• photo273558.jpg
    photo273558.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo273559.jpg
    photo273559.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

Twcash

Seaman Apprentice
Notice the impeller on the back....what year is this one. I guess what im saying is all drives while omc was still in the picture from 1990-98 should be the same. (Talkinging strictly cone kings) if the pump is on the drive it fits.

Twcash

Seaman Apprentice

Mine is a 91...with the 460

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Notice the impeller on the back....what year is this one. I guess what im saying is all drives while omc was still in the picture from 1990-98 should be the same. (Talkinging strictly cone kings) if the pump is on the drive it fits.

Unfortunately, they are NOT the same from 1990 to 1998. There were THREE basic type drives in that time period sold by OMC and called "King"

1. Dog-clutch (raw water pump on the back (actually essentially the SAME from 1986 when introduced to about 1993 when they ran out of the stock)

2. The INTERIM Cone-Clutch drive designed and sold by OMC (raw water pump on the back [yours] in 1990-1993

3. The Joint Venture OMC/Volvo Penta Cone-Clutch (raw water pump on the engine) happened around 1993.5-1994 (to liquidation of the company in approx 1998) Like the one in the above picture you posted.

The three drives above will not "bolt" to the other three transom mounts. The [90-93] 460 transom plate will not bolt to the Dog-clutch (but there was one for the dog-clutch transom mount l (I had that one) Neither the Dog nor the Cone 460 inner transom mount plate bolt to an OMC/VP SX transom mount. (the actual bolt pattern is the same going through the transom, but the other dimensions are wrong......

I know it really sux. You are going to have to either rebuild your existing drive, find one (a 1990-93 Interim cone-clutch drive) or replace the entire mess with something else VP or Merc.