King Cobra Compatability

Hi new to the site. I have a simple question. All King Cobras from 90 to 93 are cone clutch drives and will fit a 1992 four winns with a 5.8l correct?

​My outdrive blew the u-joint and destroyed a decent amount of things along the way. I am looking at getting a replacement drive off ebay. and most just say what year they came off of. I assume a King cobra off any 90 to 93 boat will work fine but just wanted to double check that there aren't any difference based on engine size, etc.... Hard to find too much info on these of course...

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Hi new to the site. I have a simple question. All King Cobras from 90 to 93 are cone clutch drives and will fit a 1992 four winns with a 5.8l correct?

​My outdrive blew the u-joint and destroyed a decent amount of things along the way. I am looking at getting a replacement drive off ebay. and most just say what year they came off of. I assume a King cobra off any 90 to 93 boat will work fine but just wanted to double check that there aren't any difference based on engine size, etc.... Hard to find too much info on these of course...

Howdy, welcome aboard!

OMC called many engine/drive combinations King Cobra over all those years. Some are Cone clutch and some are Dog-clutch. You'll need to identify what you have (model number) to determine.

yours could be one of the following

584APLAMH 1992
584APLAMK 1992
584APRAMH 1992
584APRAMK 1992
584DPEAMH 1992
584DPEAMK 1992

584APLRGD 1991
584APRRGD 1991

Go to http://epc.brp.com/ to compare.

If you have a cone clutch model, your replacement MUST be a cone clutch model from the same narrow year range. If it's a Dog-clutch model you will have far more choices (but you must select a similar ratio drive)

Also, if it's a dog-clutch, you may be able to replace with an SEI (Mercruiser) conversion. Another alternative would be to find a damaged boat with a Mercruiser or Volvo engine/drive combo and rid yourself of OMC forever!

Regards,

Rick

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If the blown u joint tore up the gimble/transom mount, then I think at this point it makes sense to convert this to a different drive system, that will mate with the 5.8 Ford that's in there, assuming the engine is still good. I'd be thinking of a Volvo SX swap while it may be expensive, I'm not sure if any of the Merc couplers will match up to that Ford engine, and trying to source cone clutch KC parts.

Bondo

Staff member
If the blown u joint tore up the gimble/transom mount, then I think at this point it makes sense to convert this to a different drive system, that will mate with the 5.8 Ford that's in there, assuming the engine is still good.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... The Most Sense is to sell everything that's there, 'n buy a donor boat with a runnin' Merc or Volvo, with a rotten hull,...

A complete pulleys to prop swap,....

A 350 with an Alpha drive, or a 350 with a Volvo drive,....
Mercs are more common, so cheaper,.... $1500. to $5000 for a runnin' donor,...

Thanks for the info. I have 584DPEAMH which is a cone clutch. The transom mount wasn't damaged. Ideally I would like to gather parts and fix it for less then say $800 and then get everything to do a swap later on. once I gathered everything then I could sell the OMC stuff to recoup some funds. I will look into the Volvo SX swap I'm sure they're is good reading to do on it. Are these swaps something a DIYer can do at home or does it require any advanced skills or tools?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The reason why I suggested Volvo even the cost would be greater is that they did use the 5.8 Ford during the joint venture with OMC era. But this only makes sense if the engine is in very good shape...

engine only has 177hrs and runs great so Volvo could make sense unless I find a good mercruiser donor boat.

​I can find all the parts I need except this Stub Yoke. its obsolete and only used ones I'm finding come with a whole outdrive. I am going to try and see if a driveline or machine shop can fix mine.

If I could find one or repair this one I could be back on the water while I wait to do the swap
http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=OMC0914646&pass_title=0914646+:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the info. I have 584DPEAMH which is a cone clutch.
I would vote for the complete swap to either Volvo SX (GM ENGINE) or Mercruiser, preferably Bravo III or I.

engine only has 177hrs and runs great so Volvo could make sense unless I find a good mercruiser donor boat.
It really doesn't "make sense" because of the Ford engine. Nothing really wrong with it except the entire marine industry completely abandoned Ford in the 90's.

You could easily pay more for a VP SX drive, transom mount, inner plate, flywheel housing, (if you could find it) flywheel, coupler than a for complete boat with a usableMercruiser/drive package!

Not only is that "Stub yoke" NLA, but many of the "showstopper" OMC Spitfire ignition parts for your engine are also not available at any price unless you're perusing a junk yard...... And since it's a FOMOCO engine, the manifolds and risers are getting harder to find and are more expensive than similar GM parts for Volvo or Mercruiser.

It's middle of Summer, if you're able to find enough parts to cobble it back together, you'll get some use out of it. If it's a nice boat and you'd like to keep it, It'll be worth it if you can find a good complete package.

Don't try to buy all the parts separately if you decide to change to Volvo or Mercruiser. it will be cost prohibitive piece by piece. try to find a rotten (transom/hull/floor) or otherwise damaged boat with the engine (GM) and drive you want.

I found that there was a LOT more Mercruiser choices on the used market than Volvo.......... I started out looking for 300hp (or more) Volvo SX single prop or DP.

Over several months, I only found Mercruiser engine/drive packages in the NW.... I paid $5k for a 97 7.4L + Bravo III package out of a wind damaged 24ft Bayliner.

I had a good 460 King Kobra drive, transom, trim, etc and a blown engine..... over a 3 year period, I got a total of $3600 selling all the OMC stuff. I even shipped the drive all the way to the east coast!

Good luck!

Rick

Last edited:
I would vote for the complete swap to either Volvo SX (GM ENGINE) or Mercruiser, preferably Bravo III or I.

It really doesn't "make sense" because of the Ford engine. Nothing really wrong with it except the entire marine industry completely abandoned Ford in the 90's.

You could easily pay more for a VP SX drive, transom mount, inner plate, flywheel housing, (if you could find it) flywheel, coupler than a for complete boat with a usableMercruiser/drive package!

Not only is that "Stub yoke" NLA, but many of the "showstopper" OMC Spitfire ignition parts for your engine are also not available at any price unless you're perusing a junk yard...... And since it's a FOMOCO engine, the manifolds and risers are getting harder to find and are more expensive than similar GM parts for Volvo or Mercruiser.

It's middle of Summer, if you're able to find enough parts to cobble it back together, you'll get some use out of it. If it's a nice boat and you'd like to keep it, It'll be worth it if you can find a good complete package.

Don't try to buy all the parts separately if you decide to change to Volvo or Mercruiser. it will be cost prohibitive piece by piece. try to find a rotten (transom/hull/floor) or otherwise damaged boat with the engine (GM) and drive you want.

I found that there was a LOT more Mercruiser choices on the used market than Volvo.......... I started out looking for 300hp (or more) Volvo SX single prop or DP.

Over several months, I only found Mercruiser engine/drive packages in the NW.... I paid $5k for a 97 7.4L + Bravo III package out of a wind damaged 24ft Bayliner.

I had a good 460 King Kobra drive, transom, trim, etc and a blown engine..... over a 3 year period, I got a total of $3600 selling all the OMC stuff. I even shipped the drive all the way to the east coast!

Good luck!

Rick

Thanks for all the info I found this boat and wanted your opinion on if it's a good candidate. As far as year and drive go. It seems to fit what your said I believe.

https://tucson.craigslist.org/boa/d/1996-larson-194sei/6225672458.html

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for all the info I found this boat and wanted your opinion on if it's a good candidate. As far as year and drive go. It seems to fit what your said I believe.

https://tucson.craigslist.org/boa/d/...225672458.html

That's an OMC Cobra SX drive on it with associated OMC under the hood.

Ordinarily I would say RUN from anything OMC.
Fact is, that engine and drive IS essentially Volvo (from about1995 on) I would want to know the model number so see what has been changed/modified in the last 20 odd years

1996 5.7L (GM)
572BPNCS 1996
57FAPNCA 1996
57FAPNCS 1996

1996 5.0L (Ford)
502APNCA 1996
502APNCS 1996
50FAPNCA 1996
50FAPNCS 1996

I didn't see a 1995 5.7L

1995 5.0L (Ford)

502APHUB 1995
502APHUE 1995
50FAPHUB 1995
50FAPHUE 1995

It's possible that that boat came with a 5.0L engine and if it did, it could be a Ford engine. You'll want to compare the two (distributor location etc) (Don't let him tell you that it's easy to put a GM V-8 where a Ford is sitting.......it is "easy" if you have all the "stuff" that bolts to the GM block : pulleys, ALT, flywheel housing, manifolds, risers, , etc......

Anytime someone tells me that the engine is seized, I wonder about the drive.

If the drive is ok and there's a good engine that comes with it, I think $2200 is a good starting price (for the seller) .
I'd offer less though starting out just because it's craigslist!

If the engine is a marine engine, ensure that it's got a marine distributor, starter and alternator. (and it's not EFI.....a real nightmare in those days)

Last edited:

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Rick can i pick your brain a bit

Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

It's much better to pick all of our brains!

Instead of piggybacking on someones thread, start a new one asking specific questions and you'll get many brains to pick!

Cheers,

Rick

So I one more quick question. I have bought all the parts and am in the process of putting it back together but I'm not sure if I'm missing something.

​Is there an outdrive seal for this year king cobra (1992) I looked everywhere and cant find one and on the parts diagram it doesn't show one. Also when I removed out drive I didn't find a gasket. I just assumed there should be one since all other outdrives seem to have them.

https://www.*****************/parts/o...r+Gear+Housing

​That's an exploded view of the upper gear housing and doesn't show a gasket

​I'm thinking it needs something like this pictured below???

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/sierra--outdrive-gasket-sets--P006_190_004_513/zoomImages
Thanks

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
So I one more quick question. I have bought all the parts and am in the process of putting it back together but I'm not sure if I'm missing something.

​Is there an outdrive seal for this year king cobra (1992) I looked everywhere and cant find one and on the parts diagram it doesn't show one. Also when I removed out drive I didn't find a gasket. I just assumed there should be one since all other outdrives seem to have them.

https://www.*****************/parts/o...r+Gear+Housing

​That's an exploded view of the upper gear housing and doesn't show a gasket

​I'm thinking it needs something like this pictured below???

https://www.***************/buy/sierra--outdrive-gasket-sets--P006_190_004_513/zoomImages
Thanks

Those links were blocked by the site. Competitor site urls are not allowed and will usually be edited out if seen by a mod.

I think you're talking about the following?
http://www.iboats.com/Sierra-Outdri...7884288--session_id.756562059--view_id.187585

Sorry didn't realize I couldn't post competitors links.

That is the type of gasket I'm talking about though.
Is that the correct one for my unit I can't find anywhere that says it is or that it needs one. Looking at the unit I'm not sure I see a reason it needs a gasket. It didmy have one when I removed it

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Sorry didn't realize I couldn't post competitors links.

That is the type of gasket I'm talking about though.
Is that the correct one for my unit I can't find anywhere that says it is or that it needs one. Looking at the unit I'm not sure I see a reason it needs a gasket. It didmy have one when I removed it

The dog-clutch Cobra had a gasket between the drive and gimbal mount. I don't know about the Cobra Cone though.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Cobra cone does not appear to have a gasket between the pivot housing and the upper drive housing. Neither does the joint venture Cobra or Volvo Cobra SX.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The way that the driveshaft bellows seals against the upper drive housing, is that the bearing carrier is machined to fit perfectly into a recess in the bellows. So you put a coating of OMC triple guard grease around this recess and also on the corresponding area on the bearing carrier. Tightening the 6 bolts draws the upper gear housing in and make seal. Same exact way as on the Volvo SX. The reason why the dog clutch models used a gasket between the upper gear housing and the pivot housing and the cone shifting models don't is because on the dog clutch model it is necessary due to the design of the shift linkage in the pivot housing to keep water out of that area. The cone models do not have this issue.
​The other o-ring seals are used when you split the upper and lower gear housing, there are three that go on the bearing carrier that bolts to the lower unit. These o rings seal the oil cavity above from the exhaust water. Same style on Volvo SX .