OMC 5.7L Cobra (Slow / Interrupted Trim Up / Down)

trailrider894

Recruit
Hey guys first post here on the forums, lots of great info on here. I have a 1988 Seaswirl Spyder 202 with the 1988 5.7L OMC Cobra I/O setup.

The Problem: When trying to trim the drive up or down it will start fast, slow down, then stop moving and them motor will stop as well. Wait a few seconds and try again and it will repeat what I just described. Sometimes it will only click when you try to engage the trim motor. This symptom happens on the up cycle and the down cycle. However it is more prominent when trimming up than down. Is not better or worse while in or out of the water. No change when the engine is running or stopped.

My Attempts at a Solution: I replaced the two solenoids initially, because all I got was a click and that pretty much fixed that issue, but it is still a rare event. I checked the fluid level according to the manual and it was at the correct level (as long as I did it correctly). I cleaned up all of the wiring terminals for every single connection that was out in the open. Replaced all the fuses just to be sure that wasn't an issue as well.

I can get a video and provide a youtube link if that helps anybody. I've got a big lake trip coming up this weekend and am pressing hard to get this baby running like a dream before I go.

trailrider894

Recruit
I have bled the system and that seems to resolve the issue for an hour or two. But starts again after the drive stays in one position for a long period of time. (A few hours)