OMC 800 Stringer, Side Throttle/Shifter Control, Idle Issue:

theNailer

Seaman Apprentice
Hello there, and thanks for looking. I've been googling all ways from Sunday that I can figure, and still to no avail. (My google-fu could very well be weak, so please bear with me)

What we have here, is a SeaRay 260 Express Cruiser with a 5.7 ltr engine. My side controls at the helm is one lever, with a 'broken' plastic cover on the lever that says OMC. There's a trim "bow up/down" button at the thumb, and a red "shift" switch under the fingers for moving the lever.

Now, before going any further, I have to equivocally state the we just received this boat last summer, and have had to fix/change/adjust/replace absolutely EVERYTHING that we come across, including the light fixtures, switches, fuses, fuse-holders, and even many wires on this boat. It looked so good at the outset, and it wasn't until we actually got into things, to get to the details, where we since learned that we practically needed to rebuild the boat. I'm not kidding, but I digress.

My mechanic friend has got this engine running beautifully perfect, smooth, and powerful. I say that, because I've now learned about the 'soft' intermediate shaft in the outdrive leg, which is the "shear-pin" of the system. Upon going to Wide-Open-Throttle (after smooth, low rpm shift, of course) the splines sheared right off and we replaced the shafts.

But here's the issue. Either something wasn't installed correctly, or adjusted properly, or something's missing. We have NO 'throttle advance' without shifting into gear, either forward or reverse. So the only way to start the engine, and bring it up to operating temperature, is to raise the engine hatch, and apply pressure to the throttle lever on the side of the carburetor using a gaff..... and holding pressure on it for a few minutes just to get the thing to heat up.

Others have been telling me that there should be a method of increasing the idle without shifting into gear, on the controls at the helm. Well, I can't move the lever without squeezing the 'finger switch' either forward or reverse, and any movement of said lever puts the drive-leg into its relevant gear.

I'm looking for a manual, or at the very least an exploded drawing of the box behind the upholstered sidewall at the helm, so that I have at least an inkling of what I'm looking for, before I go dis-combobulating things and wreaking more havoc.

Suggestions, advice, and direction GREATLY appreciated. Thank you, and I look forward to your replies!

Sean,
Winnipeg, Mb.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its an omc control, grab the throttle by the base and pull out toward you. its not a button, the lever physically pulls outward about 1/4"

the vertical driveshaft isnt the shear pin of the system, its a S#!T design and the splines wear

kenny nunez

Captain
Keep a close watch on the ball gears. If they appear to wear out quickly the news is ALL BAD. The upper housing and the intermediate housings are out of shape. I hope you have not ran the boat on a plane with the drive not all the way down. Or the previous owner did that or backed the drive against a curb with the drive down. I have changed quite a few of those parts when I had my shop and it is not cheap and finding some of those parts will be difficult.

theNailer

Seaman Apprentice
its an omc control, grab the throttle by the base and pull out toward you. its not a button, the lever physically pulls outward about 1/4"

the vertical driveshaft isnt the shear pin of the system, its a S#!T design and the splines wear

THANK YOU....

When we go down to the boat today, I will FIRST check that! Awesome. I had no idea that such could be a movement. Now, as to the "shear-splines" comment, that was a little sarcasm. The joke that I made with my mechanic friend, is that any other drive has a shear-pin, (logically enough) whereas this system seems to have "shear-gears".... HA.

And, as for the Ball Gears, and such.... I'm sorta lucky on this note (???) I have 2 spare engine blocks (both 4-bolt mains) nearly identical casting numbers,,,, and at least 1 complete spare 'inside-the-hull' setup as well as 2 'outside the hull' setups.

So as I work on each individual item, I take the best of the two (or three, depending) and make the goodest I can. So, to make a short story VERY long, the transition plate Ball Gears and the out-drive leg Ball Gears are essentially brand new, each. And no, I do not drive in any way, other than the 'fully down' position,,, and I have not hit anything at all in the short amount of time that I've had/operated this.

I'm not saying everything is perfect. Not by a long shot. But due to my Millwright/Machinist background, I'm making everything as perfecter as I can. OCD tends to lead one in such a direction.

Now I can't wait to get down to the boat, just to see that thing 'pull out' from the wall, and allow me to increase the throttle. I had no idea....

:D

kenny nunez

Captain
Good luck. Now you know what to watch for. OMC made an alinment tool for checking the housings. And I still have it. But you can check the intermediate with the drive removed and placing a piece of glass that covers both sides where the saddles mount and if it tends to rock diagonally the housing is bad. 2 framing squares across and against the trunnions on the upper gear
housing facing front should be parallel . I was a OMC dealer from72-03.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Ball gear kit (including the seals and expansion caps is only $145 on amazon. Dont wast yout time trying to use old gears, all the stuff you need to install them would cost you about $50

theNailer

Seaman Apprentice
Well, we just got home. Pretty much the first thing I did, upon entering the boat, was to pull the shifter 'out of the wall' that ~1/4", and it works like a hot-damn.

I HAD NO IDEA... and seriously to all, thank you. The starting of the engine is no longer an aggravating kabuki dance of choreographed Rube Goldberg'ing. It's actually a pleasure.

That truly IS about the first thing on the boat that has worked right, without me having to fix it, adjust it, install it, or rebuild it. Quite the treat, that. And yes, all this other info I'm taking to heed as well... so don't be afraid to tell me what I don't know.

Obviously, some things I don't even know to ask!