omc cobra 4.3l shift cable and remote cable replacement

ruggles

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi there, i've done the adjustment a couple times now albeit with an aftermarket cable. I got the OEM one from OMC and I got a new shifter cable as well to make sure I have everything covered.

1) should I replace the transom shift cable and adjust with the tools and then put the new remote cable in?

2) my shifter has two different places to attach the cable. I was told from another member on here to put it to the most outward setting to get the most throw. Mine was sent in the most inward setting which I think wasn't correct. it makes sense to me to put it to the outward one as it always seemed like the shifter just didn't have enough throw to get both of the gears consistently.

3) once I have my tools set to the right measurements I can put the drive on and I shouldn't have to pull it again correct? I just have to dial in the remote shifter at that point?

I have the both of the old cables removed and the pivot housing is removed. I am going to screw in the new cable and reattach the pivot housing and then go from there.

Any helps and tips would be appreciated as it's been a year since i did this last and the shifter adjustments always throw me for a loop.

Thanks in advance!

Ryan from Vancouver, BC Canada

ruggles

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so I used to tools to get the correct measurements on the shift cable and the leg is back on. Still in neutral. The old shift cable to the controls has been removed.

I'll attach the cable to the controls and re mount the controls and then move to the engine where I'll attempt to do the the rest of the adjustments. Hopefully I get it right this time.