Why will my boat only reach 3000 RPM in WOT?

samocamo123

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, I have an Ebbtide Montego 170 with a 3L OMC Stringer 400 (302STHRCOM) and I noticed in WOT I only reach 3000 RPM, it can't be my prop as its a 13 3/8 x 17 pitch and is what I believe to be the factory prop (its a little dinged up but not enough to make a noticeable difference). It also couldn't be gearing or outdrive as they are stock. I am thinking it could be timing as I messed with the timing when I was having some issues when I first got the boat, although I just messed with the timing until it sounded the best at idle because my engine pulley has no timing marks even though it has timing tabs, and I believe the previous owner replaced the pulley, I have a timing gun but I can't use it without a timing mark. It also makes a ticking noise right after pushing it hard for a while and then seems to go away after it sits and idles, I don't think it is overheating because I haven't noticed the temp go very high. I also don't think its a lifter because it doesn't seem to tick faster when I rev it. Could the tick have anything to do with it?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
use a piston stop, determine TDC

you are probably no where near correct on the timing.

you may also be running out of fuel.

alldodge

Staff member
Sounds like you just got the boat, and if this is correct then need to go thru it as Scott mentioned. Let us know what you find

alldodge

Staff member
Yes, it works with either. Keep in mind this must be done by hand (no starter)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Yes, it works with either. Keep in mind this must be done by hand (no starter)

come on, where is the fun in that.

vz2x5.jpg