Im stumped on this leak

ScottP71

Cadet
I have a 1991 fourwinns 190 freedom with 4.3 motor and OMC outdrive. I will begin with that i have very little knowledge on boats. I have a leak in my boat that is fllling up the bilge area and then the boat. I had done some research and based on that i had thought it was my transom seal or transom was rotted. Upon that research i had seen where a few people had pulled the boat out of the water and filled it up with water until they saw where the leak was coming from. So I did this and i was shocked to see where the water was coming from. Because of my lack of knowledge about boats i do not know what to call this where the water is coming from? I tried to upload a picture of the leaking part and i cant get it to upload, just bought this tablet and still learning it. I did a search on omc outdrives and i saw a picture of the part that is leaking. From the best i can tell its the lower bellow. Its a black rubber ribbed hose with holes in each rib that looks like someone cut it that way. So my question is, how is the water getting there and how easy/hard is this to fix?

Speak

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1991 fourwinns 190 freedom with 4.3 motor and OMC outdrive. I will begin with that i have very little knowledge on boats. I have a leak in my boat that is fllling up the bilge area and then the boat. I had done some research and based on that i had thought it was my transom seal or transom was rotted. Upon that research i had seen where a few people had pulled the boat out of the water and filled it up with water until they saw where the leak was coming from. So I did this and i was shocked to see where the water was coming from. Because of my lack of knowledge about boats i do not know what to call this where the water is coming from? I tried to upload a picture of the leaking part and i cant get it to upload, just bought this tablet and still learning it. I did a search on omc outdrives and i saw a picture of the part that is leaking. From the best i can tell its the lower bellow. Its a black rubber ribbed hose with holes in each rib that looks like someone cut it that way. So my question is, how is the water getting there and how easy/hard is this to fix?

If you filled the bilge with water and it's coming out of the exhaust bellows then it sounds like your exhaust y pipe is leaking

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... The only path to get out the exhaust bellows from inside the hull is through the exhaust pipe, so it's probably got a hole in it,....

ScottP71

Cadet
Sounds like its time to grab a mirror and a flashlight. Thanks for the info, ill keep you updated

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... A digital camera will put yer eyes, where yer head won't fit,..... ;)

ScottP71

Cadet
So i went by and talked to a guy at the boat repair place and he is telling me i need this kit that has all new bellows and gimbal bearing with a few other parts in the kit and with 6 hrs of labor it would be around $700 to fix it.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Did you identify, Exactly where it's leakin',..??

If there's a hole in the y-pipe, that $700.bucks ain't gonna fix it,...

ab59

Ensign
ScottP71--I'm not sure you understand what the Y pipe is , if not then you need to speak up because it sounds like you are just about to throw 700 bucks away and not fix anything . look it up on the internet and find a schematic of your system and gt familiar with what you are doing. May seem confusing at first but with a little effort you will get to know your boat and have a better time in it.
These guys know what they are talking about so listen to them and do what they ask . It will be to your benifit .

ScottP71

Cadet
I thought it was a pipe that joins the two exaust manifokd pipes togther? Also thought that you have to pull the motor to get to it? 91 four winns freedom 190

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... That's right,.... Yer work order is on the outside of the hull, which has nothin' to do with a leaky y-pipe,...

ScottP71

Cadet
I went to the boat today after putting back in the water a few days ago and finally spotted the leak. I took a video of it but i have no luck uploading things on here from my tablet for some reason. Anyways it looks likes it coming from the topside of the y pipe or what i think is the y pipe and running down it?

ab59

Ensign
Scott , you are probably trying to upload too much data for the system to handle here . Take some still pictures and use something to point out what you are asking about , it works great for letting these guys know what you are dealing with. Hope you stalled the 700 dollar mechanic bill until you are sure of what you need to do.
Good luck and post up some good pictures for good help.
a.b.