225 Sundowner Won't plane out

CapVic

Cadet
Hello, I've used your guys knowledge before. But this is my first post. Anyways. I have a 1992 225 Four Winns Sundowner with a 5.8 engine.
The boat has sat for a few years but recently I bought what was supposed to be a 5.8 out drive. After driving 3 hours to pick it up, I got home and eventually noticed the plate on the out drive states its a 5.0. The old owner blocked me so I couldn't recover my money. But after talking to a marine mechanic and reading on here, he stated we could use the out drive but might need to swap out for a different prop.
Yesterday we took it out on the lake and the boat would not plane out and the RPM's would not go over 2400. When we had the boat on land it would rev up, So I am confused as what could possibly be the culprit. Any help or direction would be appreciated, thanks in advance !

kenny nunez

Captain
When was the last time you ran the boat with the original outdrive? How did it perform then?

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
If I'm reading gear ratios right - and I'm certainly no expert - you should be able to overcome the ratio difference between those drives by running a different prop. HOWEVER, with the same prop you had on the old drive, you should be able to get up on plane and within several MPH of your previous top speed (I would think, anyway).

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong (and I might be), but I would think with just the gear ratio change of the new drive you should be generating at least 3500 RPM.

Bondo

Staff member
Yesterday we took it out on the lake and the boat would not plane out and the RPM's would not go over 2400. When we had the boat on land it would rev up,

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... You've got a motor problem, probably crud in the carb or water in the fuel,....

Check the contents of the fuel filter for anything but clean fresh gasoline,....

If the ratio were wrong, yer motor would be revin' to the moon, with to low a gear ratio,... 'n it may yet, once ya get the motor runnin' Right,...
The 5.8l runs the tallest drive gears,.... short of a big block anyways,...

CapVic

Cadet
The original out drive has been off for years. I left it in the up position in winter and the case cracked. Since then I've replaced it 2 times. The prop that is on the boat now is a 15x15. The original prop size was 15 x17 . I also drained all the old gas and replaced it with 30 gallons of fresh gas.
On land with muffs it revs up and purs. I guess I dont know if I should go up or down in prop size and pitch?

CapVic

Cadet
Also I just ordered a carburetor rebuild kit. So that will be done by the end of the week . would a dirty carburetor keep the boat from planning, and achieve the appropriate rpm's?

CapVic

Cadet
When we were on the lake they pulled the cover off and the carb was spilling a lot of gas, too much. BC of that I would say it was not a lack of fuel. #Confused

Bondo

Staff member
Well it's certainly a Carb problem,.... :rolleyes:

CapVic

Cadet
SLOW mode on 1992 225 Sundowner ? Oil pressure location

Hello, I'm trying to figure out why my boat won't plane out. The boat won't go over 2000 rpm so I am thinking I may be in SLOW mode or limp mode. I read on here there could be 2 reasons. Oil pressure Sensor or water temperature sensor. ( I think thats what it was called)
But now I can't find anywhere that states where I could locate either so I can swap them out. Any info would be GREATLY appreciated !

southkogs

Staff member
Back on your other topic, you're clearly showing power problems. You're not getting enough power from the engine. Based on what you said over there, Bondo's right - your carb is a pretty solid candidate.

CapVic

Cadet
An update, had the carb rebuilt and installed today. Took her to the lake and she ran much better, however still will not plane out. Stuck at 2600 Rpm. We swapped out a different pitch prop and still no change. Unable to plane out.

southkogs

Staff member
What's your gear oil look like? I don't know the cobras well enough to know how a gooey stern drive affects things.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I had this problem on my '88 Four Winns H200 with the 4.3 and it was the anti siphon valve on the gas tank. It did exactly what you are reporting.

CapVic

Cadet
The gear oil is new. And I will check the anti siphon valve today. Thank you for the help!

CapVic

Cadet
I had this problem on my '88 Four Winns H200 with the 4.3 and it was the anti siphon valve on the gas tank. It did exactly what you are reporting.

Thank you for helping. Also before u changed or fixed the anti siphon valve, were u able to see into the carburetor to see if the engine was getting fuel?

CapVic

Cadet
I've changed the carb and swapped out props and the rpms stay at 2500. Nothing has made it change. Confused owner over here. Lol

Yarecky3

Recruit
Try to run without flame aresstor for a moment. Maybe its not getting enough air. Or Your engine generates so much fumes thru crankcase breathers that is stopping most of the oxygen to some in. I had that before engine rebuild ((
And I think You have one way valves on breathers hoses. That might be it as well.
Hope that helps.
J