Rinker85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

I have two questions.

​I have a 1984 2.5 L Omc stern drive engine.

​Today on the water it was backfiring when I would hit the throttle from a standstill . If I moved the throttle very slowly I could bring the boat up to speed. But the engine sounded a little rough.

​When I got back home I looked at the points I had installed a couple of weeks ago and found that they slipped to completely closed position. Would this have caused my backfiring problem?

​My 2nd question is my front engine mount holes are stripped out. I saw a video on YouTube about how fix with a 2 part epoxy. But the guy never said what kind of epoxy. Is there a certain kind or a different way to fix the stripped out holes?

​Thank you

kenny nunez

Captain
Take a close look at the rotor shaft that it is not rusted where the rubbing block on the points contacts it. If it is that is why the points may have closed up.
I am not sure which epoxy to use so keep searching.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Dowels and epoxy are a band aid fix. Most likely your motor mount blocks need to be rebuilt in your 34 year old boat

Regarding the points, did you lube the points wiper and dizzy lobes with a bit of grease? If not, the points shoe has worn and the points need adjustment

Rinker85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Points Update

​I readjusted the points and still have the same thing. It back fires and stalls when I hit the throttle unless I slowly move the throttle forward.

​I have a fuel filter for the carb and pump on order and will me here in a couple of days.

​Compression test: cylinder 1 is 120 psi
cylinder 2 is 110 psi
cylinder 3 is 105 psi
cylinder 4 is 120 psi

​I installed a Sierra Marine fuel water 2 years ago. Haven't changed it since. I will get a new one installed. My question with the separator is how do you know if there is water in the fuel? It does not have a clear bottom it is solid. I did remove it at the beginning of the year and empty it into a clear glass and did not notice any water on the bottom of the glass.

Any other tips on what might be causing this back firing?