OMC Boat Ford Motors VS Ford Cars Trucks Motors

Zenka

Cadet
Hi guys,
I would like to know if the head gasket for a 2.3 liters OMC is the same as for a 2.3 liters Ford Ranger.
I mentioned OMC to my dealer parts and he couldn't find for sure.
Since I'm here is there a site/list somewhere where I could find out if cars/trucks engines would fit on that OMC drive
and if so,which one.I know the subject been brought up before but answered particularly according a specific title.
I think a clear answer under this title would make it easier to find .
Ty.
PS: My 2 cents for help-My motor overheat because a hose clip broke on that hose which bring water from pump to engine.
Hose is located on the left side of drive entering the boat.Make sure to look at it before putting your boat in water.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Hi guys,
I would like to know if the head gasket for a 2.3 liters OMC is the same as for a 2.3 liters Ford Ranger.
I mentioned OMC to my dealer parts and he couldn't find for sure.
Since I'm here is there a site/list somewhere where I could find out if cars/trucks engines would fit on that OMC drive
and if so,which one.I know the subject been brought up before but answered particularly according a specific title.
I think a clear answer under this title would make it easier to find .
Ty.
PS: My 2 cents for help-My motor overheat because a hose clip broke on that hose which bring water from pump to engine.
Hose is located on the left side of drive entering the boat.Make sure to look at it before putting your boat in water.

Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

It might help if you post your model number for reference.

In general, all the 2.3L head gaskets are similar. Marine head gaskets will use materials (such as stainless steel) to resist corrosion because of the open cooling system. If you operate in NON-salt water, a automotive head gasket will work much better (but will still corrode eventually)

I would not use an automotive head gasket in salt water unless I had closed cooling.

I looked around a little using Google and I found many sources of head gaskets .................. If you're in the States, you can probably get one from NAPA

Regards,

Rick

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Was researching the same thing a while back. Marine gaskets are supposed to be different materials. Was talking to an old marine mechanic and he said an auto gasket will work fine as long as you flush your engine after on the water. I tore down the old 2.3L I have and the marine gasket that was on it didn't look like anything special. When I find a good running truck 2.3 I'm just gonna drop it in and go. The 2.3 is the only engine that will fit your drive.

Zenka

Cadet
Ty for answer Rick,
I found one online and it says it is made out of Graphite.
I am not in salt water.If by any chance you would know can you tell me if any 2.3 liters
ford motor would fit in it?Same block which would fit on the drive,same bolt pattern to install my marine manifold?
Tx again!

Zenka

Cadet
Ty for answer Keyboardman,
You posted while I was answering to Rick.
I had water who went in my cylinders.
From what I remember a blown head gasket will show some broken piece or something
but I don't see it on mine.Probly cause I haven't seen many.I will replace a new one anyway and will see.
Tx again!

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
You better check out the exhaust manifolds if you got water in your cyls and not in the crankcase oil. Rusted out manifolds caused water to get in the one I have and it's now locked up solid! The exhaust manifold for that engine is hard to find and is pretty pricey. I've been hunting for one locally for awhile now. As far as the Ford 2.3L engine is concerned, up to 1990 is the year model limit. Later engines don't have a mechanical fuel pump hole in the block.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Marine head gaskets use stainless where automotive uses regular low carbon steel

Block and heads same as ford ranger, which is derived from the pinto

Water in cylinders on a marine motor is usually never the result of a head gasket failure

Usually its exhaust manifold failure, or an improperly winterized motor

Zenka

Cadet
Water get in it after it overheat.Brought my head to get plain and the guy said it was pretty warp.Hope it's the problem i ordered new gasket to fix it.

Zenka

Cadet
Hi guys.Went to grab my gasket kit today and wasnt the right one.I gotto do a little more search.
Not sure if allowed to post sites here it is not for pub I found this and thought could be helpful to others it tells how to find model,serial # etc. and it shows all the parts.It is Crowleymarine.com.
The intake gasket isn't the same as a 2.3 L Ranger engine.I'll let you know.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Only block and heads are same (the big iron pieces, along with crank, pistons, and rods). Everything else is marine specific

Zenka

Cadet
Hi Guys,I received my HeadGasket Kit but the intake one was broken (wonder if I shouldn't make one out of gasket material).Also the cylinder holes in the HeadGasket itself are smaller than the engine cylinder holes by 3/16".I'm not sure but don't think that'll work. Ford Ranger 2.3L 1988 in what I ordered just to let you know.Here is more info about what I need.
1988 OMC Stern Drive 2.3L (Ford)
Engine model # 232AMRGDE
Part needed : HeadGasket # 912764 (seems being obsolete)
If anyone know where I can order it preferably in Canada I would appreciate if you could let me know ty.

Speak

Chief Petty Officer
Hey - I'm in Ontario Canada. I ordered mine from uap napa. 1989 mustang gasket fits right on. I boat in fresh water, never had a problem.

Zenka

Cadet
Awesome ty for answering.You probably don't know the number of that head gasket but do you remember if you had to use new bolts for the head or you used the same one?

Zenka

Cadet
Hi.I put the new head gasket and it fit right on.Once all done I put the ears on (water supply) then try to start the engine.It sparks but didn't start.
I check the oil and the level was way too high.I still have water going in engine oil.Any idea from where it can get in?Ty.

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
I hate to say it but, if you're getting water in your oil it's most likely a cracked block. I just found a super low mileage 2.3L from a Mercury Capri that's going to replace my old block. Might be best just to find one yourself and bolt all the marine specific parts on it and go.

Zenka

Cadet
Ty for answering.I kinda narrow my search the same way.Had little hope it could be the oil cooler.It shows I have one in my manual but I can't find it.
I follow the hose from the thermostat and it goes all the way to the back and clip to a metal tubing.It seems like it's the same tubing outside where the other hose
bringing water in is attach.Which oil is that oil cooler's cooling if I may ask?I know in the manual they show an oil cooler for boat equip with power steering.
Mine isn't power steering.Also that power steering oil cooler is shown on the side of the motor in the manual.The one shown for my engine is at the back by that tubing.