Moisture in oil??

I just had a 351 Windsor rebuilt. First two times putting it in the water I am working out some kinks. I pulled the engine oil fill cap and there was the white sludge on the cap. I got a hold of my mechanic and he said he thought it was just moisture from a really wet winter and it will go away . I checked the dipstick and drained some of oil from the oil filter and the oil looks great. I'm looking for some opinions

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
What is the condition of the exhaust manifolds and risers? You put in new riser/manifold gaskets?

I will be honest, im not very educated on this stuff. I don't know if they did The gaskets or not? The mechanic did tell me that when he got the engine back installed in the boat that there was a small exhaust leak in the exhaust manifold.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
take the boat out for a run. you need to get the temp up to burn off moisture in the oil.

if you have a problem it will present itself

tpenfield

Staff member
'Moisture' could be more like 'water' so you will want to check the condition of the motor oil to see if it is milky looking.

The Oil looks great. No fogginess or discoloration on the dipstick and I also unscrewed the oil filter until I had about a 1/4 cup out in a bowl. looks completely normal. I probably have 4 hours of run time on it......

kenny nunez

Captain
Does the engine get up to the 160* operating range. If the thermostat is either not there or broken the engine will run too cool and condense water which shows up under the valve covers.