93 OMC 5.8l Cobra won't start

NavyVet1

Recruit
Hi guys,

I am working on a 93 OMC 5.8 carbureted engine. Engine model number: 584APRAMK. I was trying to get the alternator belt to stop squealing. I found a new belt and had to loosen all nuts to get it installed. In the process, I now have NO SPARK.

I used a test light to see if I had power at the positive wire on the coil (the purple wire). No power/light. The engine will try to turn over, acts like the kill switch line was pulled. Replaced the kill switch to see if that was the issue. No change. The wires leading to and away from the kill switch are "hot" to the touch after turning the key.

While examining the engine, it looked like there was a nut on the alternator touching the valve cover. I have protected that area. At one point, I noticed the purple wire was broken off the "S" post on the back of the alternator. It has been reattached.

This happened once before about 3 years ago. The mechanic said it was the rear interrupt switch. Last year, replacing the kill switch fixed it. I have purchased the SELCO manual for OMC Stern Drives but am unable to find any help.

Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Hi guys,

I am working on a 93 OMC 5.8 carbureted engine. Engine model number: 584APRAMK. I was trying to get the alternator belt to stop squealing. I found a new belt and had to loosen all nuts to get it installed. In the process, I now have NO SPARK.

I used a test light to see if I had power at the positive wire on the coil (the purple wire). No power/light. The engine will try to turn over, acts like the kill switch line was pulled. Replaced the kill switch to see if that was the issue. No change. The wires leading to and away from the kill switch are "hot" to the touch after turning the key.

While examining the engine, it looked like there was a nut on the alternator touching the valve cover. I have protected that area. At one point, I noticed the purple wire was broken off the "S" post on the back of the alternator. It has been reattached.

This happened once before about 3 years ago. The mechanic said it was the rear interrupt switch. Last year, replacing the kill switch fixed it. I have purchased the SELCO manual for OMC Stern Drives but am unable to find any help.

Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated.

Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

Well, first of all your engine is a 1992 model. You can view parts illustrations and OEM numbers here: http://epc.brp.com

Sounds like you may be capable of basic electrical troubleshooting but you really should get yourself an OEM OMC service manual.
The Seloc manuals are not only limited, but in some areas they're just plain wrong and can actually get you in trouble.

If you're losing 12vdc power to the coil, reproduce the conditions that apply power and work backwards. The Correct manual will help of course with wire color etc.

This site may help with manual illustrations. http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html

Regards,

Rick