HELP!!! OMC ESA problem i need the professionals

cableguy1979

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1989 bayliner 2455 cruiser. I just bought it and im working the bugs out before i take it to the lake. The next problem i have is the ESA. Before i start getting the random comments about it's the shift cable or replace the ESA let me tell you what i do know.

On the muffs in the driveway it goes in and out of gear just fine but it doesn't stumble in the driveway. I assume that is because the linkage needs the pressure of being in the water in gear and its malfunctioning. However, while running when i engage the micro switch manually it doesn't stumble like it should. So while running i decided to unplug the micro switches and jump the two wires going to the ESA. It sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. My understanding is the ESA is either good or bad nothing in between. After unplugging the micro switches and plugging it back up i got it to work and used the micro switch to test the stumble and it worked. Shut the engine off and tried it again and it stopped working again. I thought maybe ground so i took off the ground and cleaned it but that wasn't it. When it works it seems to work pretty consistent until i shut it off. What is the next thing to test? I'm thinking i need to test 12 volts to the Esa while it is either working or not working and see if the 12 volts is working or not respectively. I think i need to also test the wire to the coil but can only do that from the connector to the coil. The wiring looks to be in good condition so i doubt ill find a bad wire.

Can anyone tell me what else could cause this? It seems if the ESA was bad it wouldn't intermittently work.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Make sure the ESA module has a good ground. Mine was doing exactly what yours is and I think it was a sign of a failing ESA. I changed the switches and the ESA eventually quit working. Replaced it and then it was reliable.