Object in my aluminum fuel tank!

Extremes31

Recruit
I picked up a 1985 Sean sprite with a mercruiser 140 , I got it cheap ,starts and runs great for like 45 minutes then it's begins to bog and hesitate . The guy I got it from said he thinks it had water in the gas .I tried to remove pick up tube took off the first fitting . I could tell the guy stripped it , I actually think he put a larger size in because the threads are screwed now . The elbow turns right and left only like a half inch . Then tightens up either way I turn it . Afraid to turn it further I don't want to snap it off . So I took off the sending unit to see inside if the pick up tube it turning with the elbow . I noticed a really small screw in the tank laying next the the pickup tube "I did not drop " fuel looks very clean except that could this be my issue or should I drain it all ?no screen on tube except on the elbow . Do you think the suction would pull that screw to the top of the elbow where the screen is? Tried magnet can't get it out lol may have to drain it anyways

Extremes31

Recruit
Well I got the screws out . That's right 2 screws I have no clue how they would have got in there or who would be so dumb as to leave then there and managed the thread the outlet fitting back on seems to be sealed I have to test

ab59

Ensign
Extremes31--- I'm not a professional mechanic but I do have a couple of suggestions . Take to boat out and when it starts bogging down CARFULLY LOOSEN THE GAS CAP and see if that helps, could be you have a plugged vent somewhere if your system is the vented type. Doing this is no harm no foul and easy to try , just be careful to not loose the gas cap.. Second is , do you have a working temp gauge , could be it is getting hot and takes about 40 minutes to get hot enough to effect th gine is running . I my short experience ,I have found that an engine that sits for long periods of time can also have a problem with the water pump on the engine itself , if it is a closed cooling system . Something to consider anyway--- process of elimination you will eventually find it.

Extremes31

Recruit
No closed cooling , vent seems clear I can blow through the tube temp stays at about 125 if gage is right , oil pressure at 38 to 40 ish will update when I take it out tomorrow if it runs better after removing the screws and I tightened fuel like fitting and replace a melted old old return fuel line from the carb was like gel and almost closed off on the inside

ab59

Ensign
hopefully that line was your problem but its odd that it takes 45 minutes to show up. sounds like overheating but if your gauge is rite then guess not . If its not the problem at least you know that . I can't see the screws being your problem but was a good idea to get something that will rust out of your tank.