new OMC Cobra question

ab59

Ensign
I am changing out 5.7 engines . I have a Cobra out drive . When I took the jewelry off the blown engine for removal I did not remove the shift cable set up from the bracket instead leaving it all in one piece. I did have to remove the throttle cable for removal. I am using the same intake manifold on the new engine so everything should be the same for re-installing the new engine. Will I have to worry about shift cable adjustment since I left everything in the bracket ?? i am hoping that I can just bolt the bracket down and be ready to go.
The throttle cable is another question because I am going back with a different Holley carb that has some differences that are going to take a little re-engineering .

thanks--ab

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
One thing I can think of is this:
​if your old engine was original, it was a pre-vortec engine.
​if your new one is of the same vintage (ie pre '96) the intake manifold should be the same.
​if your new engine is a vortec engine, then the intake is different, there are 8 bolts instead of the pre-vortec 12, and they go in straight up and down, instead of at an angle like on the pre-vortec. The OMC brackets for the shift system and the accelerator cable are bent at an angle to allow for this, you may have to bend them slightly to get the shift system bracket to clear the carb and/or exhaust manifold, and to get the accelerator cable to line up with the throttle lever on the carb. There probably were different brackets used on the last OMC's from 96-98 but who knows if you could even find them. So what are you replacing your old engine with?

​Also I believe that later OMC V6 and V8s did come with Holley carbs, so that should work out, if the Holley can be mated to the intake. If its a 2bbl there is not a need for an adaptor, but if you have a 4 bbl, then the OE intake is for the spread bore Quadrajet, most likely. Post up some pics...

ab59

Ensign
Lou C-- I have a 1988 Starcraft ss20v . I will skip the bad news about the rebuilder that I just found out about and stick to the cables. The new rebuild is supposed to be of the same year model ( cast ) specified by me to the rebuilder so that everything should go back the way it came out. I have a Weiand intake on the old engine that had a Holley mounted on it but the carb was for an car not a boat . That said then the Holley I bought for the new setup has some problems as to where the PCV comes out of the base hits the coil not allowing it to mount unless I revamp it a little but will surely fit my current manifold. I was reading some horror stories about Cobra out drives eating gears when a little out of adjustment so I was wanting to know if I still needed to adjust the shift cables after re installation. I'm kinda running blind through a lot of this job so I'm trying to gather all the info I can.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I was reading some horror stories about Cobra out drives eating gears when a little out of adjustment so I was wanting to know if I still needed to adjust the shift cables after re installation. I'm kinda running blind through a lot of this job so I'm trying to gather all the info I can.

They're mostly TRUE (the stories)..........So for that reason, I would check/adjust the cable ANYTIME I remove bracket/cable/drive during an engine installation etc.

Just saying.

Rick

ab59

Ensign
That sounds like good advise and I will take it . Will I need special tools to adjust the cables correctly ? I am a little curious about how to tell if they need adjustment and how much they need adjustment. All new to me , I have been reading posts in the forum but have not as yet found one that really helped me understand what all needs to be done. One article did say something about some kind of jig or tool or something like that but not sure they were talking about the Cobra and 5.7 setup.
It seems that the only thing I lnow for sure is that I don't know for sure, lol.