OMC King Cobra Stern Drive not going into Neutral

stancalame

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the insight. Long day a the lake! Unfortunately boat was on the trailer. Good news is that I think I solved my problem. After I got the drive back on I was double checking shift cable adjustment. On the shift lever at engine, where all the cable are attached I found that the shift lever was missing the bushings that carry it on the mounting bolt. Not sure where they went. Maybe got brittle and broke or else I must have left them out last time I pulled engine, I think I pulled the entire lever off. There was so much slop in the lever I'm surprised it shifted at all! In a pinch I fabricated a shim bushing from plastic just to check it. It shifted into and out of forward and reverse and neutral with no issues with out a prop and on the trailer. I'll order the bushings and see if that does the trick when I put it in water.

I am thankful to be on a small lake in fresh water. I don't mean to complain and I realize that you pay either way. Buy old and maintain, or fork out big money up front for a newer boat. I feel allot more confident now that I worked through repair manual on a couple items and worked my way through some basic maintenance. Looking at my drive again today I definitely have the hump on the top of the drive which houses the larger gears for cone clutch. I hope those gears last a long time...! OR at least until I get ready to sell it. I hope I have the boat to a point where I can stay on top of preventative maintenance and run it more than I work on it:)

I think the next casualty will likely be trim motor or cylinders. It makes a bit of noise when it bottoms out. By the way, I was able to bring back my trim sensor to life by opening it up and cleaning corrosion and water. Its not perfect but I can tell when its fully down and half way up which is all I need.

I'm on the upswing now on this OMC rollercoaster. I'm sure the next repair is around the corner.. Thanks for all the help from all. This community is a great one to be a part.

Attachments

• exploded%20shifter%20lever_zpshjeguvyv.png
    exploded%20shifter%20lever_zpshjeguvyv.png
    56.2 KB · Views: 3

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
My '88 still has the original trim pump and cylinders. I had the trim lines replaced about 10 years ago. I do keep the drive all the way down in storage.

stancalame

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, I have read several time to keep drive down. When on the trailer I have to lower tongue all the way to the ground and then move the gravel to accomodate the skeg. I'll definitely keep down when on the lift. I hope it lasts a long time...

stancalame

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Testing video posting skill for future use. Here is the wobling shift lever. I d for made a temporary bushing and it workef for a while but same issue returned. I didnt look at the homemade bushing to see if it slipped out. I'll buy the correct one and then tear into the contro box, if I cacn get the shift lever off. Something is holding in on after I remover the est screw on bottom.