OMC Sterndrive on a 1976 Fiberform 2425 Bermuda

pas0231

Cadet
Hello everyone, First forum post so please bear with me.

I just recently picked up (inherited) my grandfather's old Fiberform 2425 Bermuda that had been sitting on the trailer untouched in the northern Nevada desert for the past 7 years. Other than being completely full of dust and in dire need of a good buff job and some new upholstery, the boat seems to be solid and in relatively good shape. I haven't made it to turning over the engine yet as im still trying to clean all the dirt out of the bilge first; however, i can already tell the lower drive on the out drive must be replaced as it has several cracks in it. Im assuming its an OMC as the case is white and the iBoats repair manual I found in the boat is for OMC.

So my first question is should I only attempt to repair the lower drive or should I replace the entire outdrive? Second, how easy would replacing the outdrive be? Thirdly, how much would that cost? Lastly, can I just hook up a newer one with little/no modifications?

I have a deal with the wife that as long as it wont cost more to get the boat operational and on the water than its worth, I can proceed. Otherwise its a goner. By operational she means: it floats, it runs, and the upholstery is repaired/replaced (replacing the 2 $300 batteries, repainting the bottom, buffing, new nav/electronics, new canvas work, etc doesn't count towards this cost).

Father-in-law will be here next week to help me go through the engine and get it running (if it is still in good shape). Hopefully I will know before that if its even worth trying to get running.

Maclin

Admiral
Welcome Aboard!

By "more than it is worth", what do you both figure it is worth? Do you both have the same number in mind? :D

A free boat in the condition you described can take a lot of moolah to get going and be safe. Have you located and priced a drive yet?

Good luck!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Regarding the OMC. There is no other drive that will fit that huge hole in the transom.

So, if you decide to repower the boat, your looking at redoing the aft stringers and transom as well as getting a new motor and drive

As far as worth vs cost. The boat only has sentimental value, as the boat in a good running condition with perfect interior and running gearwould be valued under $2000

The outdrive alone is going to cost you significantly more. Interior will be $2-3k. If you have any rot, assume $3k for hull restoration

Boat restoration needs the support of your wife, and a real understanding of what you're getting into. Before you go too far down the rabbit hole, seriously evaluate what needs work, what things cost, and the time it will take.

As Maclin stated, free boats cost the most

pas0231

Cadet
I was figuring my cutoff at around 4k. I havent located a new drive yet, but im hoping to only have to replace the lower drive case. The most money will be spent in repairing the outdrive as i believe the engine itself will be in ok shape. But yeah as much as I would love to fix up his boat and get more use out of it, I have already started looking at other boats in the area for sale so I can start working that angle with my wife. Forgot to include pics of the outdrive in the original, and including a pic of the engine pre-dust removal.

pas0231

Cadet
Ive checked over 90% of the boat so far and havent found any rot yet, other than dry rot of the swim deck and all round light mast, which isnt original anyways, ill be replacing it with a taller one anywas since its shorter than the radar.

pas0231

Cadet
Assuming I can locate one, what would be interchangeable with this outdrive? Forgive my ignorance on this, but can I go older/newer (up to '77) and since the engine is 165 hp, am I stuck with that or can i use a outdrive for a larger hp engine effectively? Can i swap it out for an outdrive newer than 1977 (i.e. Stringer 800) since those are a hell of a lot easier to locate?

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
You should be able to use any lower from a 120HP on up made between '70 and '76 if it's an electric shift. An 800 series wouldn't be electric shift, so if it's a '77 800 you're into hydro mechanical, and I'm not sure anymore.

The electric shift lowers were 15:23 ratios (except on the 90HP and 80HP which were older models).

pas0231

Cadet
Thanks! That is what i thought. Makes finding replacement parts a hell of a lot easier.