1969 OMC Inboard Electric Shift not going into reverse.

BudL1te

Seaman
My OMC electric shift will not go into reverse. Is there somewhere to look before the arduous task of tracing? Anything that may be specific to these models?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Swap the shift wires going into drive and see if the problem moves from reverse to forward. If it does, it's your control. If it doesn't, it's either the springs or magnet in your drive.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The switches are known to fail after many years? Is yours the single lever F-N-R type or the Push Button Type? I have seen both used with the I/Os

kenny nunez

Captain
From the "knife" connectors inside the rubber tubes at the back of the engine with an ohm meter, 4.6-5.4 resistance on each wire. If the shift wire to the drive is cut in any way it has to be changed by dropping the lower section of the drive. The bolts that hold the swivel bearing usually want to break off so have a torch ready.
If the reverse clutch is broken , it can be replaced without removing the drive. Remove the 4 slotted screws and pull the seal cap off. Very carefully pull about 2" of the wire out and cut it about 1" from the coil. Remove the snap ring, gently push the upper cut wire just inside where it can be pulled back. Install 2 of the screws into the magnet and pull it out, them grab the reverse gear and pull it out to replace the spring, Use a butt connector to repair the cut wire or solder with shrink wrap after re assembly.