Shift cable replacement

Hello,
Several years ago a mechanic charged me to replace the shift cable while the boat was in the water.
I just read some posts there, and it looks like the only way to replace the cable is to take the outdrive out, am I correct?
Also, I just discovered there is a cable adjustment tool. Does the drive absolutely has to be pulled out in order to adjust the length of the cable on the engine side with the tool ?

Bondo

Staff member
Hello,
Several years ago a mechanic charged me to replace the shift cable while the boat was in the water.
I just read some posts there, and it looks like the only way to replace the cable is to take the outdrive out, am I correct?
Also, I just discovered there is a cable adjustment tool. Does the drive absolutely has to be pulled out in order to adjust the length of the cable on the engine side with the tool ?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Other than it's an OMC,..... Whatcha workin' on,..??

Sorry, It's a Bayliner Contessa with the 5.7 OMC cobra.
Right now the reverse seems to need a little more push to engage, so when I found out about the tool I was pretty excited to buy it to make sure the length is right.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
There are two tools you need to use and the drive has to come off. If he replaced the cable from the console to the engine, that is possible.