Potential omc Stringer owner questions

benny92lx

Cadet
Hey guys, new to the boating community. Im from San Diego, Ca and am wanting to get into the fresh water ski/wake scene. Im trying to go for pretty cheap right now since i have a few other projects that are currently underway at the same time. Anyways, my buddies parents are trying to clean out there yard/house and they said we could have a boat that they've had for a while. They said it was a good boat up until a few years back when they said the throttle cable was starting to stretch out cause some issues. So the boat sat. Its a 1988 Marlin 19 footer, open bow. with the OMC stringer drive (im guessing?) powered by a chevy v6 4.3.

Can anyone give me some insight on weather or not to pursue this boat or to stay away based on the omc drive? im looking for something fairly dependable. The boat itself is pretty solid, the hull looks to be in very good condition other than oxidation. the interior is toast, but im willing to throw a grand or two towards that, if it means we have a decent fresh water cruiser for the river. Here are some pictures.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It will probably take more than a couple grand to get it back on the water, Boats of that age tend to have a great deal of rotten wood that needs to be replaced, which means it may need a total gut and rebuild, so it would be next year until you use it unless you have the free time, skill and money to fix it quicker.

​You can still get parts for the outdrive, but they are getting harder to find, and not really worth the hassle it will be to keep it running.

​If you want a project and aren't concerned about being on the water it's a good choice, if you want to go boating get something else.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
run away screaming and flailing your arms

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Only if the boat was in otherwise immaculate condition. As it is, I'd pass.