How to Use This Device to Measure Dwell and RPM's

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class
Guys,

I acquired this device for measuring dwell and rpm's. Now it might be a stupid question, but how would I measure dwell and rpms. If you look on the picture when it is on and probes are not connected to anything it still reads a value, is this the way it supposed to be?

Attachments

• photo265926.jpg
    photo265926.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
That looks like a volt ohm meter, and if that's correct your not going to read dwell. Cannot make out the dial and button names

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry for the unclear picture. This meter has dwell settings for 4,6,8 cyl and same for rpm's. The only questions is where do I attach the probes to?

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class
So just so I understand it right:
1. Remove cap rotor and etc to access points
2. Adjust points with filler gauge
3. Connect Dwell meter to coil, positive probe (red) to coil output or positive small wire on the coil? Black on any good ground?
4. Turn ignition ON without engaging starter to read dwell angle
5. Adjust points with ignition ON until correct dwell angle is achieved?

Does this looks correct?

Schtoopid

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Wow, long time since I did dwell on an engine.
Yep, gotta be running. I think one line to the lead from the points, one line to ground. But its been 30 years since I did one.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
If you get it working...
Please post up the manufacturer make/model of the meter.
On my old boat, the HV ignition coils and points operation makes a digital meter go crazy.
I have always used the analog meters I own to read dwell.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
BTW.....you can get a reading of dwell with the distributor cap off by just cranking the engine. There will be a slight offset so measure the dwell while the engine is running and then while cranking with the distributor cap off to see what that offset is. Then you can adjust the points little by little with the distributor cap off to the exact spec +/- offset

Maclin

Admiral
Also there are two measurement units, one is percent and the other is degree (angle). Most older dwell meters have a scale on the back to convert, with different lines for number of cylinders.

Maclin

Admiral
Just need distributor to be spinning at a good cranking rpm. For cars (dating myself now) we would do this on a distributor machine with distributor out of the engine, could get points set exactly. Also could spin higher and check the mechanical advance curve, pre-electronics era.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
The one we had in our shop you could also check the vacuum advance.