What engine is this

Steinman

Cadet
I have a chance to buy this boat. Wondering if anyone could tell me what engine this is?

Model # DU-11 C
Serial # 0005305

I cant upload pics. Its an older OMC tri hull boat.

Bondo

Staff member
Its an older OMC

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... You don't want it even if they pay you to haul it away,....

There's few parts, 'n no support for ole Stringer drives,...
Darn little, even for the later Cobras,...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
per a quick search, its a 1963/1964 88hp motor. Its an odd-ball V-4 motor. read that as there are no parts for it.

unless the boat comes with a huge pile of cash so that when you pay to dispose of it you can come out ahead, run. not worth it.

vasy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You don't need to link a picture, just upload it in the full feature editor, not in quick reply window.
But what others said, unless he pays you to take it away 30 percent over the scrap yard pricing, find run.
There is are few things more expensive then a cheap, unsupported boat. You can't even use it as a boat anchor :)

Steinman

Cadet
No Title

That's a shame its a cool looking boat. I could get it for $200.00. Wonder if someone could rip the motor and drive gear out and stick an outboard on it :)

Attachments

• photo265983.png
    photo265983.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

southkogs

Staff member
Okay - hitting the brakes for a moment: THAT is Johnson Surfer. It is one of the boats that I would (no kidding) endure another Stringer intentionally for. They're so ugly that they're kinda' cool, and from what I understand on inland water that's not terribly choppy a smooth ride.

IF you were to get that boat, you would need to understand that you're taking on a vintage project just 'cuz you like boats - it's going to require time, blood, sweat and tears. No one besides you and a handful of boat geeks in the world will care that you have a Johnson Surfer, but you'll always be unique on the lake.

It's a Stringer ... and all of the pain in the stern that comes with a Stringer is there. But I do get a kick outta' that boat hull.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... I owned 1 for a few months back in the '80s,.... Never even moved it or put it in the water,....
Paid the guy, 'n hada go Truckin',... Got back in a couple months, 'n he'd sold it again,...
I got my money back,.... Gary did me a Huge favor, in doin' that,...

Had a Bud, 'bout that time frame that had 1 with twin motors, 'n drives,...
It'd rip yer arms right outa the sockets, when deep water launchin' on skis,...
It died after a month or 2, 'n Duffy dumped it,....
Figured for the money paid, the lost on the sale, paid for the Fun had,...

southkogs

Staff member
I Googled Johnson Surfer and its not one.
YIKES!! Let me wipe the egg off my face ... :rolleyes:

I've always called 'em a Surfer, but you're right it was the Delux Runabout. HERE.

There are actually a couple of names based on the configuration. But the crazy hull is the common denominator.

Steinman

Cadet
Its in Eastern Canada in New Brunswick. The 4 seats are there and the motor and out drive are there. The steering wheel and gauges and throttle are all there. The front window is in perfect shape not a mark on it.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... If ya can't buy parts for it, it's useless scrap,...

If you want to restore antiques,... Buy it,....

If ya wanta go Boatin',.... Run away from it,.....