To change or not to change

capt3311

Cadet
I have a 1976 Gulfstream with a Ford 302 and OMC outdrive (the engine block is cracked) . I was offered another boat motor with the same outdrive, but it's a Chevy 350. I saw a post here from a while ago where someone asked about this very swap. I never saw a final conclusion. Is this possible? is the Intermediate housing on the out end compatible? I know the bell housing side and fly wheel/coupler are different, but I would keep that all intact if it matches up on the other end. I will be looking at both side by side next week. If someone could confirm this prior, it would save me the trip out of town.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
everything outside the boot doesnt care whats on the other side other than gear ratios as long as you have the same vintage stringer

If it was me, I would replace the transom and look for a mid 90's or newer long-tail and swap everything over

capt3311

Cadet
Not sure I'm able to spend that much time and money (Wife does not want all that going on in the yard). I'll just keep my eye out for a 302 or 351W block.
Thanks for the recommendation though.

Bondo

Staff member
with a Ford 302 and OMC outdrive (the engine block is cracked) . I was offered another boat motor with the same outdrive, but it's a Chevy 350.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... If both are complete, you'll have enough parts to make 1 of 'em run,...

In theory anyways,...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You can't change from a Ford to a Chevy. The hole going through the transom is lower on a Ford. That's why the drive that hooks up to the Ford is way shorter than the one that hooks up to the Chevy.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Bruce, are you sure about the different "X" dimension on the old stringers between Ford and Chevy? this is an electric shift stringer 800.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Bruce, are you sure about the different "X" dimension on the old stringers between Ford and Chevy? this is an electric shift stringer 800.
Yes, the Ford electric shift stringer drives are shorter than the Chevy. Used to own a 75 Chevy stringer drive.

There were short ones mated to inline 6 Chevys. All the tall ones are on V8 Chevys.

Also, never heard the electric stringers labeled with the 800 designation. Thought that was only for 78 and up stringer drives.
http://www.sterndrive.info/id426.html

Last edited:

capt3311

Cadet
Thanks Guys,
I really appreciate the information.
Through my diligent internet searches, I found a complete engine replacement. Same engine, outdrive, etc.
I will be looking at it this weekend. The gentleman assured me it runs (last ran 4 months ago) and has good compression. I have my fingers crossed.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Here is a low profile attached to a Ford 351
_dsc0122.jpg

Here is a high profile attached to a v8 Chevy
ComparisonOMCOutdrive.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The 400/800 Stringer drives that came out in 78 don't have a low/high profile.

southkogs

Staff member
Interesting stuff Bruce. I was about to protest and then saw the exemption on the 250 Chevy. :cool:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I actually didn't know about the 250 until I was finding pictures yesterday.