help me ID my thermostat

casperfast

Cadet
its a 1971 reinell with an omc stringer. has a gm 307 engine. im trying to figure out why it is hitting 185-195 deg temps approaching 200 when at low rpm. i want to replace the thermostat but have no idea what to put in it. thanks alot for the info.

Attachments

• photo265643.jpg
    photo265643.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo265644.jpg
    photo265644.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 0

southkogs

Staff member
160 to 180 is the operating temperature. Part number for the thermostat is 0383307. I would also make sure you grease the swivel bearing - if it's not properly sealed up exhaust gases can help ya' overheat. When did you last change the impeller?

Engine looks very nice.

casperfast

Cadet
the engine block is from a 71 chevelle. replaced the original block due to poor winterizing it cracked. all the other parts, head, manifold, water pump etc are from the original boat engine. where can I get that thermostat from? and by impeller to u mean the water pump? and swivel bearing... would that be the ones on each side? (one has a can and a hose connection for city water hose)

casperfast

Cadet
No Title

OK, little bit of searching in the forum and I located the swivel and put about 15 pumps of grease in her while rotating the drive. based on the exhaust soot does this look like the problem I was having? where should the exhaust be coming out?

Attachments

• photo265711.jpg
    photo265711.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 0
  • photo265712.jpg
    photo265712.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 0

southkogs

Staff member
Impeller is the water pump on the outdrive, not the circulation pump on the engine. Stat should be available from NAPA (they can cross reference it, I think).

Hard to tell much from the soot. The engine exhaust is coming from that big ole' hole just above that, and it really doesn't seal up all that tight all the time. It's reasonable that it was happening because of the swivel bearing, but the impeller is a service item. If you haven't changed it in a while or at all ... then I'd change that out too.

casperfast

Cadet
OK, I found all that info while looking for the swivel grease fitting. thank you! also I ordered the stat as well. where do I find a replacement impeller unit? and it is r&r straight forward, just crack the lower case, remove and install? the engine never made it to 200 so I'm hopping the grease and the stat will fix the issue as I don't believe there was much grease in there. I ran the boat a total of about 10 hours on the new engine and have only been lightly concerned with the temp as it takes some time to get hot and was never at overheating temps, just hotter than my internal technician likes to see. thanks again.