any one know how to rebuild trim sender for 91 OMC King Cobra

stancalame

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I discovered my wiring on the my trim sendere unit is disentegrating and the seal on the sender is cracked. I spliced wire and used silicone and marine grease to try to get it to work. . It shows trim full up all the time. I make try to adjust it next time I'm at lake but I think its shot. Does anyone have any videos or instructions on how to rebuild? I assume its some sort of potentiometer. I have no experince but like to tinker and would be wiling to give it a shot. Alternatively if you know where I can buy a used one cheap then that would be under consideration. See pics.

Attachments

• Trim%20Sensor2_zpsctro4q4o.jpg
    Trim%20Sensor2_zpsctro4q4o.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Trim%20Sensor%20installed_zpsrkr8ldqf.jpg
    Trim%20Sensor%20installed_zpsrkr8ldqf.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 0
  • Trim%20Sensor_zpsulwkrhc5.jpg
    Trim%20Sensor_zpsulwkrhc5.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 0

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Buy a new one or don't bother replacing it at all. Pretty much a useless gauge. I won't be replacing mine the next time it fails.

stancalame

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have certainly read that opinion many times. If I could find a new one I might consider I purchasing but only if reasonable which I doubt it will be. If I could rebuild it cheaply to last a season the. It would be worth it to me.

Thanks for your input.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Your chance of rebuilding it is slim to none. Water leaks in and corrodes the windings and the wiper. Its not just a potentiometer that they just stick in there.

stancalame

Petty Officer 2nd Class
understood, thanks
I guess I'll live to "repair" another day... Steering cables next I'm going to post on that when I take some additional pics.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
how you rebuild a trim sensor for an OMC cobra;

remove old trim sensor
discard old trim sensor
buy new trim sensor
install new trim sensor

stancalame

Petty Officer 2nd Class
THanks
After looking around in multiple locations, I cant find a new one and if I did I dont think its worth 150 bucks. Trim guage for me is "nice to have" not "must have". I've learned to live with out it but its handy when it works. I would not have thought of rebuilding just for fun...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
they are about $130.

then again, you should price an old square Volvo-Penta trim gauge if you think your sender is pricey.

BOAT is an acronym, and boating is more expensive than racing

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Sierra was making them for the standard Cobra, I have one on mine that has actually lasted a long time. Don't know if they ever made one for the Cone Clutch King which is what you have...

stancalame

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thanks guys. I've heard the Break Out Another Thousand for B.O.A.T. any others to add to my list?:facepalm:

stancalame

Petty Officer 2nd Class
All
Wanted to close loop on this. I was able to dig out the potting material in the trim sender and opened it up. Found a little moisture and corrosion. I cleaned it up and it responds with approximate resistance required.

I sealed it with 3m 5200 and reinstalled. I bout some heavy duty Marine wire from west marine. Learned marine wire has more strands and is tinned. I gave up on trying Ric get it through the sameness penetration in the transom as it would ha e required pulling pivot housing at minimum. I drilled hole In Transom above the tube for speedo.

Hooked it up and it works!! It goes past the up make on the gauge when fully up but it tracks the movement and give verification when I need to raise the lower unit.

All in I think I spent about $30 bucks and half of that was the 3M sealant which I have most of the tube left.

If there is a will there is a way!