1988 OMC Cobra 4.3l GM Water drip near starter

rfjohns1

Cadet
While running the engine off the water hose I noticed water dripping from the black rubber hose that runs right over the starter motor. I don't know the purpose of the hose, it's around 2" diameter. It seems to be running down the length of the hose and dripping g off above the starter (right on the orange electical plug cap).

Where is this likely coming from?

Thanks for any advice.

alldodge

Staff member
If a hose is leaking, it will be at one of the ends in most cases. It can also be the hose. Remove the hose at both ends and look at it and the connecting points.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
got a pic?

trace the hose.

the exhaust is on the port side (non starter side)
the raw water feed from the outdrive to the thermostat housing may be what you are thinking. if thats the case, tighten your hose clamps

rfjohns1

Cadet
Views of Hose.

I will try that. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1157.JPG
    IMG_1157.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1156.JPG
    IMG_1156.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
[h=2]1988 OMC Cobra 3.0 GM[/h]

Ayuh,.... Yer title says 3.0l, which is an in-line 4,....

Yer pictures show a V-motor, I'm guessin' a 4.3l,.....

Bondo

Staff member
My description is incorrect. The engine is a 4.3.

Ayuh,..... I fixed it,....

In yer 2nd picture, the rust stains say the drain **** is leakin' onto the starter,....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The hose is the raw water intake hose that goes from the transom mount (p/s cooler) around the starboard side of the engine, up to the thermo housing. In the pic with the side of the engine, it looks like your exhaust manifold drain plug might be dripping on the hose and the starter terminals. I usually put a bit of OMC gasket sealer on the threads and then they do not leak. Could be the hose too, the rear connection is hard to get at, behind the rear exhaust hose on that side.

rfjohns1

Cadet
The hose is the raw water intake hose that goes from the transom mount (p/s cooler) around the starboard side of the engine, up to the thermo housing. In the pic with the side of the engine, it looks like your exhaust manifold drain plug might be dripping on the hose and the starter terminals. I usually put a bit of OMC gasket sealer on the threads and then they do not leak. Could be the hose too, the rear connection is hard to get at, behind the rear exhaust hose on that side.

Would you think this may have been leaking for a while?

The starter motor intermittently clicks before engaging, could the leak on the starter be the cause or is the starter sealed?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yes the leak on the starter terminals could cause that because they will rust pretty fast. Happened to me some years back and it was so rusty I would up replacing the starter solenoid. You can try tightening the drain plug and cleaning up the starter terminals.

rfjohns1

Cadet
I started the boat up last night to take another look and trace the leak, but it remained dry as a bone after 20 minutes. Go figure!