77 stringer not disengaging out of forward.

Starting up the old cobalt in prep for taking it out this weekend and it had a hard time getting started as well as turning the prop when I could. When I got the engine into running condition, the engine ran beautifully when the prop was off. However, it still spun the prop shaft. I just assumed it was some light friction turning it in the gears. What should I be looking for in terms of problem areas.

Engine is a 351W OMC 235 selectrim with stringer drive electric shift

southkogs

Staff member
Not sure I'm following, but I'll take a stab at it:

When the engine is running, and the boat is not in gear, the propeller is spinning a little bit? That's totally normal. When the electric shift is disengaged from forward or reverse, the prop is pretty much free spinning.

Does it engage forward and reverse normally?

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
yup southkogs is right . minimal spinning in neutral is normal . if you take the prop off you could grab the prop shaft and it will stop , lke you said its just from light friction

Yep, rookie mistake here. Had a buddy grab the shaft while idling in neutral and he could hold it still. Makes me look like an idiot looking back at the question, oh well.
Yesterday was it's "re-maiden voyage" after 12 years of sitting. I couldn't stop smiling getting it out on the water on a plane! I'm definitely appreciative of the help I've gotten here. Only problem I ran across was engine flooding when quickly slowing down to an idle. What'll happen is the idle will start to stumble a second after slowing and it will die soon after. Taking the flame arrestor off will show the blades are covered in raw fuel with more leaking through the downlegs. Floats allowed too much in and filled the bowls. All of my experience in the automotive world tells me this isn't normal, but I'm not sure if the huge load on the prop slowing it so quickly makes the issue more common in the marine environment.

southkogs

Staff member
It's not normal. I'd be into the carb ... provided I could remember what it looked like inside one :)