Those darn micro switches?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
That's for sure rick. But I'll definitely be looking for a power plant with a bit more POP than this 460 and something tuned up. I've wondered how a flat plane crank will do in a marine motor. They're getting high rpms outta those motors.

Unless you are planning to get a Mercury Racing drive, your upper limit on RPM will probably be around 5000-5500 RPM.

Several years ago, there was a guy over on Offshore Only that had a 211 with a very built 460 King Cobra that would "Bury the Speedometer at 85mph" [his words]

I have driven mine at about 60mph and it's really scary in rough water if you hit a wave wrong! A 211 will chine walk at high speeds. (Maybe that why Geico wouldn't insure a 211 Lib......)

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok I've found the villan I think. The overstroke switch was stuck in. After working it over it has loosened up some but not reall it had a "part number" on it but I don't think so sae j1171 marine. Does anyone have an actual part number.

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
And also there's 2 smooth rounded studs on the rocker part of the shift linkage one for forward and one for reverse. And it's what cancels out the interruptor switch. The forward stud was engaging the reverse one was not. The head of switch was bent not allowing the reverse stud to turn off the interruptor. Boom bam bobs your uncle?!?!?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
And also there's 2 smooth rounded studs on the rocker part of the shift linkage one for forward and one for reverse. And it's what cancels out the interruptor switch. The forward stud was engaging the reverse one was not. The head of switch was bent not allowing the reverse stud to turn off the interruptor. Boom bam bobs your uncle?!?!?
Sometimes the most complicated problem can be the simplest to fix when you finally find it!

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would like to thank all that participated in this repair. It was the overstroke switch replaced it last night tested it last nite. The ole liberator ran like a well oiled machine. After we got home off the water there was a calm that poured over me like as if everything was right in my world. Unicorns and rainbows

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I would like to thank all that participated in this repair. It was the overstroke switch replaced it last night tested it last nite. The ole liberator ran like a well oiled machine. After we got home off the water there was a calm that poured over me like as if everything was right in my world. Unicorns and rainbows

OK then............. Howzabout a picture?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Great and thanks for the feed back. It will help someone else with the same issue no doubt. The cause you found is exactly what it seemed was happening in your vid. For sure it sounded like the ESA was sticking on in reverse. With a properly functioning shift system, it should ONLY engage for a split second when you shift from in gear to N, you will hear and feel the rpms drop to about 450 and as soon as the drive goes into N it will come back up to 600.

​Those switches can stick on if the button portion wears, or if someone tightens the screws too tight. As Bruce mentioned OMC released an updated ESA module that does away with the overstroke switch and uses a timer instead. I did have to change both the ESA and the switches on mine a few years ago. But they both lasted more than 25 years!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Great lookin boat! Well worth it if you ever have to re-power. F/W does not make anything this cool any longer. All their modern boats are big bulbous space wasting designs, with horrible engine access. I actually like my old one better!

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Great lookin boat! Well worth it if you ever have to re-power. F/W does not make anything this cool any longer. All their modern boats are big bulbous space wasting designs, with horrible engine access. I actually like my old one better!

Nice Picture! Yeah, the 211 Liberator is a rather classic looking (Miami Vice looking) boat!

Here's mine right after the engine install. Didn't have the swim-step back on yet
Liberator11_zpsumanxfnf.jpg

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I really like that boat and yea I've always liked these boats liberators. It's also cool that there's so many different color schemes on a 211. They do have a nice classic look. we really love ours the only way I see getting rid of this one is to go to a 241 or 271. But this one fits perfectly in the garage.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I really like that boat and yea I've always liked these boats liberators. It's also cool that there's so many different color schemes on a 211. They do have a nice classic look. we really love ours the only way I see getting rid of this one is to go to a 241 or 271. But this one fits perfectly in the garage.

You mean 261 !! My Brother bought mine new and said he test drove a 261 (the small-block version) If he had gotten it, I would probably have it now!!

Yeah, I toyed with finding a 261 with cracked blocks etc for a "song" ................... I think a 261 with aluminum 383's and Bravo III's would be really nice!!

The problem with the 261 and even the 241 (which is a really nice boat!) is that they are pretty old now......... chances of finding one that doesn't have either a rotten floor or transom is slim.

If I get another boat, it's going to be a 2000 to maybe 2005 33' Formula (I can still tow one of those........with an over-width permit that is!!!)

Nice, like the old school 2500 Suburban also!

Funny you mention my beloved Suburban! It was a 1994 6.5L diesel model! (Bought it new with every option you could get except 2-tone paint)
I sold it in 2014(20 years) and got a 2005 Ford F-350 Crewcab SD diesel 4x4!

I really miss the Suburban but LOVE the truck! I was tempted to get an Excursion, but I couldn't find one with low miles that wasn't selling for a fortune!!

................owned that Suburban longer than I have ever owned any other vehicle!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
PS of our 2 Jeeps, we have the '98 19 years and 175,000 miles, longest we've ever had a vehicle (bought new in May of '98) and the 07 we have about 8 years (bought in Aug of '09, after a drag race style road test that got me hooked on the new gen 5.7 Hemi, still fun every day I drive it)....it's at 101,000 miles. We tow the boat with the '07 now so the '98 gets a bit of an easier time. Both go off road (beaches of South Shore Long Island NY) regularly, in fact was just down there today....

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
We took the lib out yesterday several hours we cruised through one of area spots were all the pleasure boats hang out I spotted a 241 I thought but had been repainted. After tieing off with all our buds and suds we took off for the marina low and behold coming out of the marina is this 241 we waved as boaters do here and liberator owners do as we passed the guy FREAKS out. So we turned around and my 211 was his for a long time. He said he ran a 4 blade ballistic prop 25 degree pitch. Said it would run 73 stomping Baja everywhere. Ours is a 3 blade 23 degree ballistic Also said he had beefed up the gears put in the outdrive 5 years ago.

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
You mean 261 !! My Brother bought mine new and said he test drove a 261 (the small-block version) If he had gotten it, I would probably have it now!!

Yeah, I toyed with finding a 261 with cracked blocks etc for a "song" ................... I think a 261 with aluminum 383's and Bravo III's would be really nice!!

The problem with the 261 and even the 241 (which is a really nice boat!)
The 241 I seen had single 454. I'd think with that much boat I'd want twins. Not sure if they came bb Ford or Chevy.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
The 241 I seen had single 454. I'd think with that much boat I'd want twins. Not sure if they came bb Ford or Chevy.

Four WInns offered the 454 with the Mercruiser Alpha and the FOMOCO 460 + King (dog-clutch) Kobra. Back then, the Alpha was the only game in town until the Bravo came out (the Alphas used were 1.36:1 ratio) and some didn't survive the additional HP and torque. The Bravo solved that.

I think the 241 and 261 were the same width (and wider than the 211 I think) . Even so, pretty tight in there with twin 460's!! Double Trouble nowadays of course .....

You don't see Liberators on the west coats much these days. My brother bought mine new in 87 in Las Vegas. They had a 261 that he drive but all he could think about was double the fuel burn!! With the 460, he could top out at 60mph using a 20p 3-blade running at 5000RPM

I don't think he ever tried a higher pitch prop.

I have 26p props on the 1.81:1 Bravo III and the best speed has been 57mph at 4600RPM (rev limited) But with the drive I currently have, I can just about beat most ski-boats out of the hole! They actually beat me by 1/2-1 boat length out of the hole, then I just ROCKET by them!!