Trim switch- down not working on 1991 OMC Engine Model 574APERDD

stancalame

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Out on lake yesterday and was trimming motor up going through shallow water while turning at about 3,000 RPM. Could not get lower unit to trim back down. No Click, no sound at all. Trim up works fine. I did some reading and found this great trouble shooting guide. it says "No Trim-Out/Tilt-Up, Motor Does Not Run
16-13-14-15"

First step is test switch but dont know how. I have attached pics of my trim motor and throttle handle. From what I have red, blue wiire goes one direction and greeen goes the other. I also have a red wire. I have a Model 87 Fluke meter and can easilty test continuity just need some guidane. From what I can tell I have three wires from throttle handle/switch that come to a term strip blue,green,red. That term strip also has larger gauge blue and green wore going into motor. I assume the term block includes some sort of solenoids.

Where to I put my red meter lead and where do I put my black meter lead. I tried black meter lead to engine ground and red to both of the blue and green wires. . I dont think I did it correctly because didnt get continuity. I know the up side of the switch works.

Second step is check for blown fuse/ circuit breaker. There sems to be one on trim motor. I pushed it and nothing happed. I didnt feel anything when I pushed it.

Third Step Bench test motor - Not sure how. I've read I should put hot battery wire to blue and green wires. Doesnt a ground need to be connected somewhere? IF so please elaborate.

Forth Step is relay control box malfunction. Not sure I have one and if I dont I dont know what it looks like or where to find it.

Attachments

• shifter.jpg
    shifter.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 0
  • motor1.jpg
    motor1.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 0
  • motor side view.jpg
    motor side view.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... While at the pump, the red wire that goes to the controller should show 12v, with the meter set to DC voltage,....

With yer meter set to continuity, 1 lead on the red wire, pushin' the switch Up(blue sky), should show a complete circuit, red to blue,....
When pushin' the switch down(green grass), it should show a completed circuit red to green,....

With the meter on DC voltage, the wires on both sides of the circuit breaker should show battery voltage, 12 volts,...

stancalame

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks,
I stumbled my way through it and reversed the blue sky and green grass wires to motor (great memory tool:joyous:) and convinced my self it was the switch. Started digging into the shifter and had trouble getting it off. I removed allen set screw from bottom of shifter and the center button but shifter still would not come off spline. I was able to feel behind the shifter and found two phillips screws and was able to use a #2 phillips driver bit and channel locks to remove the shift cover. Wht I found were wires that had been spliced multiple times near the bottom of the entry to the shofter. The down trim warer had come loose. So my question now is.

1 )How do I get the shifter completely off, or do I want to? I could feel the the shift cables still connected. I'd like to take it off to access the wiring behing the mount bracket to see if there is some extra wire so I can splice it.

2) Based on the picutres, is there a preferrred way of routing the cable so it does not wear out again. It is apparant to me that over the course of time this previous owner had done this twice before.

shifter%20cover%20off%20close_zpsdgwenaor.jpg IMG_0254_zpsadjhqacu.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0255_zpsxmqfty5w.jpg
    IMG_0255_zpsxmqfty5w.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 1