Omc King Cobra Outdrive help

BlackSea

Cadet
Okay guys. Question for the experts. I changed the oil in the outdrive. Omc king cobra. I drained it and then filled it up from the top. Yes, i now know i should have filled it up from the bottom. However it's already done. I put about 64 oz which is about 3 liters which is what the outdrive takes. I ran it on the driveway for a few minutes forward/reverse. I then opened the top port to let some air out. I did this twice. Question is. Am i good or am i risking it. ?

BlackSea

Cadet
So boobie i am assuming pumping it from the bottom is the correct way. Am i in danger now?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Do you have a picture of your drive? If it's the dog clutch King Cobra, it gets filled form the middle...not the bottom.

BlackSea

Cadet
It is a 94 and i do not have the middle one so i am pretty sure it is the SX.
Can i damage the outdrive the way i did even thou i ran it couple time and opened the top port to let some air out. The oil level did go down a little. So i top off and made it to the top mark

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If its really a 94 then it could be the joint venture product just like an SX and you should fill it the same way as an SX. Can't comment as I've never worked on one of those. Keep in mind that OMC was also using their cone clutch drive at the time, so post a pic because it could be either one of these drives...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yep thats the rare cone clutch not the JV drive. I have seen exactly 2 of these, both on Four Winns Liberators with 454 power. Too bad that OMC was so mis managed, they had some very good products and this was one of them.

BlackSea

Cadet
Thank you guys. So what is the correct way of filling up the cone clutch?
From the bottom or top?
I did it from the top. I let it sit for hours. Then i ran it forward/reverse. I opened the top again to let some air out. I did it again. Ran it, then opened thw top to let more air if there was some.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Except for the standard Cobra, you pretty much always fill from the bottom most plug with the upper plug out, pump slowly so as to allow air to escape. If you got the correct amount in, based on how many qts the drive holds, and let it sit to allow air to escape, then I don't think you need to do it all over again. It must have taken a long time to get all that oil in from the top, though....

The idea of filling from the bottom (all outboards, and Mercury drives) is that you are pushing in the gear oil with the upper plug out. This allows the oil to fill all the cavities, and also allows air to escape. If the air can't get out, then usually you can't fill the drive with the specified amount of oil.

BlackSea

Cadet
I think i am going to need to do it over again. Drain it and fill it from the bottom just to be on the safe side