Tilt motor replaced still not woking

Mcochems

Cadet
I replaced the tilt motor on my stringer 800. Hit the switch and it went up. Hit the switch again it went down. Hit the switch and nothing. It would work intermittently but would also just stop halfway up.

I hear the solenoids click but I'm wondering if both are going bad as I don't hear the motor, except when it works. I can't lift the drive by myself so it sounds like the clutch pack is working, I have it in new oil. I have greased all fittings under the rubber pads.

southkogs

Staff member
Test your wires at the motor. See if you're getting voltage. If you're not, then it's still probably a motor issue (my experience anyway).

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... Take all the connections apart, 'n sand 'em shiny clean metal, 'n try it,....

Mcochems

Cadet
Ayuh,... Take all the connections apart, 'n sand 'em shiny clean metal, 'n try it,....

Yep that was the first thing I tried before I replaced the motor. I'm going to take a volt meter to the motor today. Does anyone know what it is supposed to read volt/amp wise?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... It should show very close to, or at battery voltage,....

Mcochems

Cadet
I was doing some research and some people mention if the cover for the clutch housing is not shimmed correctly it will bind the gear. When I replaced the oils I did the clutch pack and it did not have any shims between the housing and cover. It also didn't butt up that good so I used the bolts to close the gap. Could this be the issue? It rained pretty good over the last two days so I haven't been able to test the voltage to the motor.

southkogs

Staff member
I've heard of one person tightening the clutch pack up so it was binding in the past - so that's a maybe. Check it, but double check that voltage too.

Mcochems

Cadet
I have a model 990229G SN 557963 engine model so will Sierra part 18-2698 clutch housing seal work? According to the tag I have a 1977 model 175.

Mcochems

Cadet
My son isn't home yet to help me test voltage. so I disconnected the motor connected to the blue wire terminal from the motor and put it on the positive battery post and nothing... I'm assuming it should have sparked and the motor should have turned on?

I just recently overhauled my tilt system and the shims are very influential on ease of lifting. It should have two "gaskets" and only torqued to 7 ftlbs. I stupidly only put on one shim the first time and it had a hard time moving. Adding the second got it working normally.