Cracked engine block; 1988 Bayliner Cuddy Capri

Waynem

Cadet
Help anyone, I have a 1988 bayliner cuddy capri, with a 5.0 OMC cobra engine in it. The engine block has a crack in it, when I did my first start, water was coming from 2 spots from the sides of the engine. I'm gonna have to replace the engine, what is the cost of replacing the engine, or should i just junked this boat and look for another one.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
How much are you into the boat ?

It has several strikes against it..... Omc , engine , bay liners are a dime a dozen

If you are not too deep into it , cut your losses and sell what you can and find a better candidate to sink money into

vasy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Didn't you just re-upholster it?
The engine swap is cheap if you got the time.
You can just pickup a long block from iBoats or elsewhere that does marine blocks and swap it yourself.
Probably $2k all in but you will have a basically brand new engine, new upholstery...
If your outdrive is good, that is the way I'd go. If the outdrive failes later, worst case you can swap with Alpha leg with an adapter and part what's left.
If you have to pay someone to do it, probably looking $5k(ish) so at that time you may want to consider cutting your losses.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Consider the structural integrity too. Could a 1988 Bayliner have any rot? If the boat and trailer are solid, and you really like the boat - going the long-block route may be OK

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Just another opinion here,
If it were me, I'd take a long hard look at everything. And perhaps have a knowledgeable ( as in boat savvy) friend take a look as well. It may also prove to be worth your while to have a boat mechanic, experienced repairman give you an estimate. Try to put a realistic number on potential repairs and then decide. As we all know boats can become very expensive, especially if you're having the work done by someone else.
Best of luck

southkogs

Staff member
Are you sure the block is cracked? Have you done a compression test?

Based on your other topic, I'm thinking you've not had this on the water in a while. Do you have any drain valves open?

Bondo

Staff member
when I did my first start, water was coming from 2 spots from the sides of the engine.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Did ya crawl in there, 'n actually see the cracks,..??

Was it drained for winterization,..?? did ya put the drain plugs back into the block,..??

Btw,... southkogs, a compression test could be Perfect, 180 psi per cylinder, 'n still be a cracked block,...
Pressurizin' the blocks coolin' passages with 'bout 15 psi of air, is how cracks are found,.... ;)

southkogs

Staff member
Btw,... southkogs, a compression test could be Perfect, 180 psi per cylinder, 'n still be a cracked block,...
Pressurizin' the blocks coolin' passages with 'bout 15 psi of air, is how cracks are found,.... ;)
Makes sense ... I was thinking of it from the wrong angle. "Mr. MediocreWrench" at work again :D

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
post a picture of exactly where the water is coming from

it could be the drains not put back in from winderization (not properly de-winterized)

it could be core plugs pushed out due to improper winterization

it could be cracks in the side of the busted casting from improper winterization

Waynem

Cadet
How much are you into the boat ?

It has several strikes against it..... Omc , engine , bay liners are a dime a dozen

If you are not too deep into it , cut your losses and sell what you can and find a better candidate to sink money into
I don't have much in it, I re-upholstered it, $100.00 worth of material, I have a boat mechanic coming by to take a look at it, thanks for the response.

Waynem

Cadet
Didn't you just re-upholster it?
The engine swap is cheap if you got the time.
You can just pickup a long block from iBoats or elsewhere that does marine blocks and swap it yourself.
Probably $2k all in but you will have a basically brand new engine, new upholstery...
If your outdrive is good, that is the way I'd go. If the outdrive failes later, worst case you can swap with Alpha leg with an adapter and part what's left.
If you have to pay someone to do it, probably looking $5k(ish) so at that time you may want to consider cutting your losses.
Yes, I just re-upholstered it, I have a boat mechanic coming by to look at it, it wasn't winterized, the person I bought it from, didn't tell me that it should have been winterized. The engine run very good the few times I had it out last summer, the water only came out from one side in two spots I saw.

Waynem

Cadet
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Did ya crawl in there, 'n actually see the cracks,..??

Was it drained for winterization,..?? did ya put the drain plugs back into the block,..??

No it wasn't winterize, I have a boat mechanic coming by to look at it, thanks for the response. I just saw the water coming from 2 places on one side of the motor.

Waynem

Cadet
post a picture of exactly where the water is coming from

it could be the drains not put back in from winderization (not properly de-winterized)

it could be core plugs pushed out due to improper winterization

it could be cracks in the side of the busted casting from improper winterization
When the boat mechanic comes by and look at it, I'll post a picture of it. It could be the casting, the water was coming from the top of the motor in 2 places.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
No it wasn't winterize

why wasnt it winterized?

im guessing that you live somewhere where the temp gets down under 32 degrees for a bit.

if that is the case, youre gonna need a new engine

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
why wasnt it winterized?

im guessing that you live somewhere where the temp gets down under 32 degrees for a bit.

if that is the case, youre gonna need a new engine

and new exhaust manifolds + risers so add about 750 in parts on to that job