OMC OUTDRIVE PROBLEM NOW...

Pedrocasas

Seaman
Hi Guys. so I figured out the reason why water was not going from the lower unit to the top unit... .(bad muffs)

We were trying to drain the oil from the gear housing. I removed a screw on the left side (see pics please) to drain the oil, apparently it was the screw to drain the water that is from the IMPELLER

the problem is as you can see the picture. The screw was old and rusted. I tried screwing it back in its place... BUT the inside part where the screw goes attached fell off, its inside the unit loose. THE INSIDE PART THAT HOLDS THE SCREW TO THE HOLE.

NOW how in the heck do I put on the screw?? do I need to remove the whole outdrive? is it fixable???

Has anyone else ran into this problem?? thank you in advance guys!!!!

I appreciate all the help that you guys have given me!!!!

also... I have not found the leak of water into the oil gear housing.. still searching for that

Attachments

• photo263824.png
    photo263824.png
    929.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo263825.png
    photo263825.png
    675.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo263826.png
    photo263826.png
    660 KB · Views: 0
  • photo263827.png
    photo263827.png
    691.5 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The DIY stickies state NEVER REMOVE THAT SCREW.

Manual says same thing

You now need to pull your drive apart

Pedrocasas

Seaman
Scott thank you once again brother.

I just found older posts on here also. i'll be removing the drive then.
and might as well lube and grease everything else inside.

thank you!!!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Once you pull the drive off, you should have the retainer in that water passage housing, and can re-attach it. I think you need to find a mechanic that is familiar with Cobras to bring your drive to so that it can be resealed. That, and to make sure the water tube gaskets are installed properly.

Pedrocasas

Seaman
No Title

Hi guys... I just fixed the screw myself. replaced it with a new screw threw some lock tight and now we are good.

This is how my stern looks.

Attachments

• photo263943.png
    photo263943.png
    531.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo263944.png
    photo263944.png
    516.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo263945.png
    photo263945.png
    539.5 KB · Views: 0

Pedrocasas

Seaman
AGAIN.. ME!!... I bug too much huh !!!

Can anyone tell me how to grease/lube the U JOINTS on the 1989 OMC.

I aligned the engine and it was already almost perfect.

All I need to do is grease the U JOINTS and what else do I need to grease and lube before re installing the outdrive again...

Bondo

Staff member
Can anyone tell me how to grease/lube the U JOINTS on the 1989 OMC.

Ayuh,.... Aren't there grease fittin's on the u-joints,..?? if so, just Grease 'em,....

If not, they might be sealed units, so No greasin' 'em,...

They may have little bitty pipe plugs in the grease fittin' holes,...
If that's the case, remove the plugs, 'n screw in 90?, 1/4" - 28 thread grease fittin's, 'n Grease 'em,...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Ahh....unless that liquid in your bellows is gear oil, you got water in there and probably should REPLACE your gimble bearing and u joint bellows. Post up a pic of what your u joints and driveshaft look like. Rusted, or not? There should be a grease fitting on the right hand side of the transom mount that is for the gimble bearing, You attach your grease gun there, and spin the gimble bearing by hand while pumping grease in, the bearing should spin very SMOOTH. If there is any roughness at all, you must replace it.
The Cobra bellows is not a bad job, I'd use an OE one if you need to replace it because they fit better and last longer. The last one I replaced on mine, lasted 10 years or so.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Attachments

• photo39564.jpg
    photo39564.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo255072.JPG
    photo255072.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 0