460 carnage.

Doneysitdown

Seaman Apprentice
Omc 460 baby king 1988
model 754bprgdp. (Think this is correct)
Long story short had cracked block and messed up # 5 cylinder. Have a lead on 1982 460 out of a 1ton van. Anything I should be aware of for compatibility. If compression checks out. Will change out head gaskets and core plugs and bolt on all marine furniture.

Attachments

• photo263599.jpg
    photo263599.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo263600.JPG
    photo263600.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Fix whatever caused engine #1 to run lean so you dont FUBAR engine #2

That is the result of serious lean detonation

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Omc 460 baby king 1988
model 754bprgdp. (Think this is correct)
Long story short had cracked block and messed up # 5 cylinder. Have a lead on 1982 460 out of a 1ton van. Anything I should be aware of for compatibility. If compression checks out. Will change out head gaskets and core plugs and bolt on all marine furniture.

Been there, done that! Although my 460 "died" from a flat camshaft.............

Since you probably have a good drive (which you can easily sell for good money) , this might be a great time to consider finding a Mercruiser or Volvo engine, transom-mount and drive from a "donor" boat and make the "big" switch.

Otherwise, the van/truck 460 will probably work ok. I will agree with Scott here though, you need to determine why you had a detonation event.

It can be due to low octane fuel and timing. I seem to remember the OMC manual specifying 8 BTDC if running "REG" and 10 if you could get "premium" If you were at 10 deg BTDC or more running some of the less than satisfactory fuel available today, you might have been on the cusp of detonation..........(or well into it)

Since the manifolds are a difficulty these days, (and if yours are "good") you can sell yours too! I got about $3600 selling all my OMG460 stuff over a 3 year period! and I still have the oil and fuel filter mounts and the Capts Call system I removed. The oil filter and fuel filter remote mount is going on my 1955 Ford F-600 project 292 Y-block. The Capts Call is stuff is going out the door!

Cheers,

Rick

Doneysitdown

Seaman Apprentice
At the moment I don't have the funds for the "big swap"
I have been reading about 460 industrial motor being used instead of 460 auto for marine aplications. Is there merit to this? With that 460 lead I have on that on that one ton van, just want to make sure the motor will work. Thoughts, ideas? Thanks again guys

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
yes, the Marine motors come from the industrial side vs the automotive side. however its the same block, pistons, crank, heads as the trucks. Cam from a truck is close enough to the cam from a marine motor. Cam from a car would have wrong profile

core plugs and head gaskets will need to be changed.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
A 1T Van engine would be close enough to the marine application to work just fine. If you're only going to operate in "fresh" water, you can also get away with the existing head gaskets if you don't want to pull the heads......although it might be good to freshen up the valves if there's a question. (do a compression check before pulling the heads)

I would probably still swap out the core plugs though, if for no other reason than to just to have a look at them. I have had core plugs rust in cars with regular anti-freeze that wasn't changed on a regular basis......

Doneysitdown

Seaman Apprentice
The plan is to check compression before I buy it. Also planning on doing head gaskets and core plugs. I do boat fresh water( big beautiful Lake Superior). Try and eliminate some variables by doing hg, even though I would be buying a used motor. Ha. Oh well

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
The plan is to check compression before I buy it. Also planning on doing head gaskets and core plugs. I do boat fresh water( big beautiful Lake Superior). Try and eliminate some variables by doing hg, even though I would be buying a used motor. Ha. Oh well
You'll probably find that the engine runs at least as well as any good running OMG460!

Doneysitdown

Seaman Apprentice
Well just wanted to wrap up this post with a win. Got new(used) motor in and is running. Had a few heart aches. Had one cracked head and forgot to line up oil pump shaft with dizzy cap. Ran for about 20 seconds without oil pressure🙄 But all in all im gonna call it a success. Thanks again for the tips fellas!